Monday, September 10, 2012

Re: [LINUX_Newbies] Debian Squeeze and Software Center

In my experience, user friendly means dumbed down. Synaptic has many
useful features not included in SC. It lists dependencies, versions, and a
useful description, but no rating. It has filters to show broken
dependencies, upgradeable packages, new packages, etc. You can sort by
origin or architecture.You can add sources, change them, find the fastest
server, and add keys without leaving the application. I use some of these
features every day. Score one for Synaptic. It may be ugly and old, but
there is nothing that comes close to it for features.

Roy
Using Kubuntu 12.04, 64-bit
Location: Canada


On 9 September 2012 18:28, Turin Turambar <TurinTurambar.1@gmail.com> wrote:

> **
>
>
> Just thought that I would post this warning for others who have installed
> Debian Squeeze.
>
> I'm only guessing, here. I did some Googling, but couldn't find any
> corroboration, on this. However, I suspect that Squeeze's "Software
> Center" (a more user friendly alternative to Synaptic) has a serious bug
> that will wipe out your network connections (including, Internet), network
> configuration programs, and, other important programs (such as the one for
> modifying "Services").
>
> This is, now, the second time in a few days that I am reinstalling Squeeze,
> because of this. I've been using it since June, and have had precious few
> problems with it. This has been the release that I've waited for.
> However, I am very suspicious that Software Center is the culprit, because,
> after I used it a few times, I hardly touched it, for months. That is,
> until the other day when I began making heavy use of it. Then, while I was
> using Aptitude to do some updates, the network connections disappeared.
>
> Today, it happened while I was doing some of the reinstallations in
> Software Center. I am currently doing another reinstallation, because
> nothing I can think of (including using recovery on the installation disc)
> seems to allow me to get anywhere near reinstalling the components -
> whatever, those may actually be, apart from my guesses.
>
> ...Interesting.
>
> [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
>
>
>


[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]



------------------------------------

To unsubscribe from this list, please email LINUX_Newbies-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com & you will be removed.Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LINUX_Newbies/

<*> Your email settings:
Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LINUX_Newbies/join
(Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
LINUX_Newbies-digest@yahoogroups.com
LINUX_Newbies-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
LINUX_Newbies-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

No comments:

Post a Comment