Monday, September 10, 2012

Re: [LINUX_Newbies] Re: Debian Squeeze and Software Center

 

On Mon, Sep 10, 2012 at 7:18 PM, Paul <pfrederick1@yahoo.com> wrote:

> **
>
>
>
>
> --- In LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com, Turin Turambar <TurinTurambar.1@...>
> wrote:
> >
> > Just thought that I would post this warning for others who have installed
> > Debian Squeeze.
> >
> > I'm only guessing, here. I did some Googling, but couldn't find any
> > corroboration, on this. However, I suspect that Squeeze's "Software
> > Center" (a more user friendly alternative to Synaptic) has a serious bug
>
> If you think you've found a bug then file a report. Only you can prevent
> software buggery!
>
> http://www.debian.org/Bugs/
>
> I'm not seeing anything like you've described on the tracker. I think
> software-center is actually an Ubuntu package Debian is carrying. Honestly
> I was surprised to see it in my package listing.
>
> You may have perhaps inadvertently configured software-center in some
> manner at some time in the past that is causing it to do what you are
> experiencing now. I say this based on what I am reading about it in $
> aptitude show software-center
>
> Description: Utility for browsing, installing, and removing applications
> The Software Center lets you browse and install thousands of free
> applications. You can view available applications by category, or search
> quickly by name or
> description. You can also examine the applications already installed, and
> remove those you no longer need.
>
> Perhaps for some odd reason software-center is determining that you no
> longer need some of your network software on your system?
>
> For the record I use aptitude in the non-interactive mode here. If I use
> anything at all.
>
>

Thanks. I really can't be sure what caused this, but, after happening
twice, I just thought that I would raise the possibility with a heads up to
other Debian-philes. My laptop is getting old, and, I recently had to
clean the fan, which had some serious dust in it. So, perhaps, it's
hardware related...

>
>

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
To unsubscribe from this list, please email LINUX_Newbies-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com & you will be removed.
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment