Thursday, September 27, 2012

Re: [LINUX_Newbies] Re: Updated now I am lost

When you have a mess then the best option and usually the fastest, too, is
to re-install. The basic process is to back up to external media your files
if any. Then download the ISO (I suggest 12.04 LTS) and burn it to disk
using your favourite DVD burning application. Even Windows ones will work.

http://www.ubuntu.com/download/desktop

Then insert the disk and re-boot. It will offer to install or let you try
it without installing. I suggest the second. It will run slowly since it is
running off the CD, but will work more or less as the installed version
would. See if graphics, sound and wifi work fine. If so, then go for the
installation. No need to re-boot. You can do it from the Live CD. If
something does not work then get back to us and we can likely fix that.

When installing you will have choices about where to put it. Since Ubuntu
is already on it then you do not need to worry about partitioning. Just
choose the same location and it will install in about 15 minutes. Remember
your user name and password. Re-boot and update using the update manager.

Roy
Using Kubuntu 12.04, 64-bit
Location: Canada


On 26 September 2012 23:41, Steve <stevestanfill@yahoo.com> wrote:

> **
>
>
> I have trying to figure out what I did wrong. For better or worst, have
> 11.10 downloaded and 8.? gone. I thought I could update and go on. I have a
> mess. Is there a way to redo a set-up. I think I need to start from
> scratch. I didn't know anything when I started. I wish I had researched
> more before starting. If the forum is patient I just might salvage this. I
> don't want to, but my son-in-law is a windows mechanic, I hate to bother
> him. I really want to do this my self. Pride. The problem laptop is a
> back-up. I guess I'll tinker, and try to straighten it out. I'll try not to
> be a bother.
>
>
>


[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]



------------------------------------

To unsubscribe from this list, please email LINUX_Newbies-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com & you will be removed.Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LINUX_Newbies/

<*> Your email settings:
Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LINUX_Newbies/join
(Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
LINUX_Newbies-digest@yahoogroups.com
LINUX_Newbies-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
LINUX_Newbies-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

No comments:

Post a Comment