Monday, September 10, 2012

[LINUX_Newbies] Re: Debian Squeeze and Software Center

 



--- In LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com, Turin Turambar <TurinTurambar.1@...> wrote:
>
> Just thought that I would post this warning for others who have installed
> Debian Squeeze.
>
> I'm only guessing, here. I did some Googling, but couldn't find any
> corroboration, on this. However, I suspect that Squeeze's "Software
> Center" (a more user friendly alternative to Synaptic) has a serious bug

If you think you've found a bug then file a report. Only you can prevent software buggery!

http://www.debian.org/Bugs/

I'm not seeing anything like you've described on the tracker. I think software-center is actually an Ubuntu package Debian is carrying. Honestly I was surprised to see it in my package listing.

You may have perhaps inadvertently configured software-center in some manner at some time in the past that is causing it to do what you are experiencing now. I say this based on what I am reading about it in $ aptitude show software-center

Description: Utility for browsing, installing, and removing applications
The Software Center lets you browse and install thousands of free applications. You can view available applications by category, or search quickly by name or
description. You can also examine the applications already installed, and remove those you no longer need.

Perhaps for some odd reason software-center is determining that you no longer need some of your network software on your system?

For the record I use aptitude in the non-interactive mode here. If I use anything at all.

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
To unsubscribe from this list, please email LINUX_Newbies-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com & you will be removed.
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment