Tuesday, November 22, 2011

[nslu2-linux] Re: using stock pogo rootfs externally from usb with optware

 



Thanks. I wasn't sure if pacman on Archlinux would interfere with ipkg but I might give it a try now. My constraint may be somewhat unique in that I still use my nslu2 and I wanted to configure the pogo as a clone of it - tried the slugos 5.3/le but got distracted and took the easy way out :-)

--- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "oddballhero" <oddballhero@...> wrote:
>
>
>
>
> Actually, you could just put Optware on USB and lock down the rootfs as read only with "mount -o ro,remount /" and there wouldn't be much wear to the flash. But, I have done something similar to yours using Jeff's uboot to get kernel features that just building modules wouldn't give me. Although what I did was to build a newer kernel from source, and build a newer busybox with mdev functionality among other things. To get it to boot, you need to configure the kernel with usb and ext2/ext3 built-in/not as modules. It helps to have a serial cable. As I'v mentioned on http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/Main/PlugComputers you could even run Optware on top of Archlinux (there are a few packages they don't provide, and Ovidiu Sas always has the latest Asterisk Builds for Optware). You could also play with a custom kernel and the SlugOS/LE 5.3 Beta (Other Targets) rootfs. I've done all the above on Kirkwood but also have gotten it to work with OXNAS by placing the modified kernel in NAND. You could also use WarheadsSE Archlinuxarm installer to do this if you don't want to do it by hand like this article did http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/arm/2011-July/001622.html .
>
> --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "dynamic_hamster" <dynamic_hamster@> wrote:
> >
> > I have an NSLU2 and bought a pink pogo to replace it but wanted everything running from the usb like the nslu2 so as not use the flash in rw mode. I found an easy way to do this on a pogo was to make a copy of the stock rootfs to the usb stick, then use the /boot/uImage from archlinux in conjunction with jeff's uboot, and finally overlaying the /lib and /dev directories from archlinux.
> >
> > I've been using the pogo and optware externally from usb for a couple of days and it seems to work fine and I can pull the usb stick anytime and revert back to the original pogo plug if needed, or erase and redo my optware from scratch. Not sure anyone else is doing it this way or just me, but thought I would mention it.
> >
>

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
MARKETPLACE

Stay on top of your group activity without leaving the page you're on - Get the Yahoo! Toolbar now.

.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment