Friday, November 11, 2011

Re: [LINUX_Newbies] F16

I think the problem is solved and the solution was easy. At the suggestion
of someone on Google+ I switched keyboards back to German (Switzerland) and
typed the old user name and passwords (user and root). They
*were*different. I typed them into gedit so I could see them. Then I
switched to
US keyboard and went to the users and changed the password from the wrong
one typing from what was in gedit to my desired one. I opened a terminal
and changed to root and did as you suggested and entered a new password. I
had to use the wrong one to change to root, but had that written down.

Whew! I was just getting to like F16 and thought that I would have to
re-install. Thanks. The panic is over.. :)

Roy

Using Kubuntu 11.10, 64-bit
Location: Canada


On 11 November 2011 15:28, Scott <scottro@nyc.rr.com> wrote:

> **
>
>
> On Fri, Nov 11, 2011 at 03:16:33PM -0500, Roy wrote:
> > Thanks.
> >
> > That will change the root password, but how can I get in as user once I
> > re-boot? There is no root user at gdm, that I can remember, just roy.
> BTW,
> > I am not even sure the user's name is accurate because y and z were
> > switched on the keyboard.
>
> Sorry, might not have been clear. After changing root's password,
> change the username's password. For example, if the username was roy
>
> passwd roy
>
> If you're unsure of the user name, and doing ls /home doesn't help, then
> I would just create a new user and make sure they're in the wheel group,
> since Fedora now gives sudo powers to all users in the wheel group.
>
> So,
>
> adduser -G wheel newroy
>
> or whatever you want to call it--or delete the old user and add this
> user.
>
> It should work, even in single user mode, but haven't done it in awhile.
>
> If it doesn't, once you've changed the root password, then boot again,
> but this time in text mode--should be the same as before but add 3
> rather than 1 to the end of the kernel line. (Hope that still works
> under systemd, I'm not 100 percent sure it does.)
>
> Then, you will be in full multiuser mode and can add the new user.
>
> --
> Scott Robbins
> PGP keyID EB3467D6
> ( 1B48 077D 66F6 9DB0 FDC2 A409 FA54 EB34 67D6 )
> gpg --keyserver pgp.mit.edu --recv-keys EB3467D6
>
> Giles: I need you to take Spike for a few days.
> Xander: What?
> Spike: What?
> Anya: What?
> Spike: I'm not stayin' with him.
> Giles: I have a friend who's coming to town, and I'd like us to
> be alone.
> Anya: Oh, you mean an orgasm friend?
> Giles: Yes, that's exactly the most appalling thing you could
> have said.
>
>
>


[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

------------------------------------

To unsubscribe from this list, please email LINUX_Newbies-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com & you will be removed.Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LINUX_Newbies/

<*> Your email settings:
Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LINUX_Newbies/join
(Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
LINUX_Newbies-digest@yahoogroups.com
LINUX_Newbies-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
LINUX_Newbies-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

No comments:

Post a Comment