Friday, November 11, 2011

Re: [LINUX_Newbies] F16

 

On Fri, Nov 11, 2011 at 03:16:33PM -0500, Roy wrote:
> Thanks.
>
> That will change the root password, but how can I get in as user once I
> re-boot? There is no root user at gdm, that I can remember, just roy. BTW,
> I am not even sure the user's name is accurate because y and z were
> switched on the keyboard.

Sorry, might not have been clear. After changing root's password,
change the username's password. For example, if the username was roy

passwd roy

If you're unsure of the user name, and doing ls /home doesn't help, then
I would just create a new user and make sure they're in the wheel group,
since Fedora now gives sudo powers to all users in the wheel group.

So,

adduser -G wheel newroy

or whatever you want to call it--or delete the old user and add this
user.

It should work, even in single user mode, but haven't done it in awhile.

If it doesn't, once you've changed the root password, then boot again,
but this time in text mode--should be the same as before but add 3
rather than 1 to the end of the kernel line. (Hope that still works
under systemd, I'm not 100 percent sure it does.)

Then, you will be in full multiuser mode and can add the new user.

--
Scott Robbins
PGP keyID EB3467D6
( 1B48 077D 66F6 9DB0 FDC2 A409 FA54 EB34 67D6 )
gpg --keyserver pgp.mit.edu --recv-keys EB3467D6

Giles: I need you to take Spike for a few days.
Xander: What?
Spike: What?
Anya: What?
Spike: I'm not stayin' with him.
Giles: I have a friend who's coming to town, and I'd like us to
be alone.
Anya: Oh, you mean an orgasm friend?
Giles: Yes, that's exactly the most appalling thing you could
have said.

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
To unsubscribe from this list, please email LINUX_Newbies-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com & you will be removed.
MARKETPLACE

Stay on top of your group activity without leaving the page you're on - Get the Yahoo! Toolbar now.

.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment