Thursday, May 10, 2012

[LINUX_Newbies] Re: Ubuntu 12.04LTS Problem

 

Thank you for your reply. I am still new to using the terminal. But I did open it and entered the lspci and a lot of information came up. Nothing came up with the second part, the grep -i net
Anyway, I am not sure exactly which information is relavant on the screen but from what I can tell this seemed relavant:

Express fast ethernet controller (rev 02)
Realtek Semiconductor Wireless lan controller RTL8191SEvB

If this is not the information I shold have gathered, please tell me what to look for.
Again, thank you for any suggestions and help so far.

--- In LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com, Roy <linuxcanuck@...> wrote:
>
> You should not have to go to Windows. Open a terminal.
>
> Type or paste (Shift-Ctrl-V): lspci | grep -i net
> *
> *
> Roy
> *
> *
> Using Kubuntu 12.04, 64-bit
> Location: Canada
>
>
> On 9 May 2012 22:02, G.Linuxducks <g.linuxducks@...> wrote:
>
> > **
> >
> >
> > You can not even get broadband/dsl connection ? ethernet cable in from
> > the modem ?
> > For wireless if I am not mistaken the madwifi trip is towards buying a
> > driver for wireless which is probably not necessary. Proprietary driver
> > for wireless.
> >
> > I have been chasing a similar situation over at Debian with an EEEPC
> > netbook. There should be a similar link at Ubuntu about which wireless
> > modem cards are compatible - as you say an older model. But since you
> > have been using apparently up to 11.04 or higher, it sems doubtful at
> > this point Ubuntu would have been chucking support for legacy NIC cards.
> >
> > You got to re- aline. You said dual boot right? Go into windows and find
> > the name and model of your built in wi-fi card (Wireless modem or NIC
> > Card). Apparently it is built in rather than you add an external
> > wireless card ?
> >
> > gerald philly pa usa
> >
> > On 05/08/2012 12:05 PM, Gabrielle wrote:
> > > To answer another, yes, I tried direct connecting with ethernet cable
> > and it still quits after ten seconds. Frustrating. I went to the madwifi
> > site and I have no idea how to build or what even to click there. I still
> > do not know what the problem is. I can not stay online long enough to
> > download anything helpful. If I do find something that would help, I guess
> > I could put it on a thumb drive and try that, but I have no idea what the
> > problem is. Never had the problem with the previous Ubuntu versions. Just
> > the latest upgrade. How do I go back without losing all my stuff? I would
> > still like to figure out what the problem is. I am still thinking it is
> > something simple. I just do not know where to look. Any other suggestions
> > from anyone? Thank you for all the responses so far. Looks like I still
> > need help to figure it out. Missing my puter :(
> > >
> > > --- In LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com, Knowledge
> > Seeker<knowledgeseeker78@> wrote:
> > >
> > >> Hi,
> > >> I also have Toshiba satellite series laptop (old model though).
> > >> If the wifi in your laptop of "Athreos", then I suggest you a solution.
> > >> Google "madwifi". Actually you have to build the madwifi, to support
> > >> "Athreos".
> > >>
> > >> This issue started in my laptop long back, I guess since ubuntu-9
> > >> or ubuntu - 10. Not able to recall properly though.
> > >>
> > >> --
> > >> Knowledge Seeker
> > >>
> > >>
> > >> On 5/
> > >>
> > ---------cut---------------cut-------------------/
> >
> >
> >
>
>
> [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
>

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
To unsubscribe from this list, please email LINUX_Newbies-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com & you will be removed.
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment