Tuesday, May 8, 2012

[LINUX_Newbies] Re: Ubuntu 12.04LTS Problem

 



--- In LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com, "Gabrielle" <dawnyisrael13@...> wrote:
>
> How do I go back without losing all my stuff?

You have a couple ways you could do it. The easiest way would be with an external hard drive, copy the files you want to save to it. Or, you could boot off another disk that can keep a network connection, mount your hard drive with the data you want to save, then transfer the files over a network connection to another machine.

What I do is I make /home a separate partition, that way if my OS in / goes bad I can reinstall it without losing any data in /home. Something to think about in the future.

To get an idea of how much space you might need to make a separate / partition I don't like to run out so I allocate more space than I need:

df -h
Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on
/dev/sda3 28G 7.2G 19G 28% /

I use more space than I need to too.

There is always some risk whenever you upgrade. All responsible guides always say to backup data before you proceed. I don't think there is any easy way to reverse upgrades. You are probably going to have to fresh install, once you've saved the data you wish to.

Now might be an excellent time to learn about the Tape ARchive program tar (it can do more than just tapes)

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1019517

Just be extra sure you fully understand everything because at some point you may not get any more retries. A few little practices might be good before you tackle the important job. Verify what you have too!

One more thing tar can do:

http://www.tech-recipes.com/rx/115/copy-files-and-directories-recursively-with-tar/

Be careful and good luck!

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
To unsubscribe from this list, please email LINUX_Newbies-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com & you will be removed.
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment