Friday, May 4, 2012

Re: [LINUX_Newbies] Re: Ubuntu 12.04LTS Problem

 

On Fri, May 4, 2012 at 1:30 PM, Gabrielle <dawnyisrael13@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> Thank you for your reply.  I read through everything in that link.  I am not sure what or how to help the system
> since it will only stay connected for 10 seconds.  The system might have a download itself, but I can not do
> anything within the 10 seconds.  I do not want to have to dump everything and start from scratch.  I would be
> happy to go back to my previous version 11.something.  I am not sure how to do that.  But if anyone has a
> suggestion?
> Thank you

Can you not connect your machine to your router via an ethernet cable?
Every laptop I've seen (except for maybe the new ultrabook types)
have onboard ethernet, and most wifi routers have ethernet as well...

> --- In LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com, Scott <scottro@...> wrote:
>>
>> On Wed, May 02, 2012 at 12:14:53PM -0000, Gabrielle wrote:
>> > Greetings,
>> >
>> > A couple of days ago I saw that there was a new, large download for the newest Ubuntu version. I happily clicked yes and downloaded it to replace my version 11 something. After it was done and rebooted it asked for the authentication for the wireless network. No problem. I have Verizon FIOS and got the number off the verizon box, entered it and it connected no problem. About 10 seconds later a window said, disconnecting and said I was now offline and the add Key number window popped up again. So, I went into the settings and it even said connect automatically on startup. Hmmmm. I again entered the key code and again it connected and again it disconnected after about 10 seconds.
>> > I never had this problem before and can not for the life of me figure out what else I am missing. I am sure it is something simple. I can not even find out if I like the new 12.04 or not. I have it on my Toshiba Satellite L505 laptop, which is dual boot. Any suggestions as to what else I may have missed?
>>
>> It may be a driver issue, with there being a regression in the new
>> kernel, that doesn't work as well with your network card.  It may be a
>> NetworkManager update.  I have a page that goes through testing if it's
>> the network configuration tool, which, though written more for Fedora,
>> might be useful.
>>
>> http://home.roadrunner.com/~computertaijutsu/wireless.html
>>
>>
>> --
>> Scott Robbins
>> PGP keyID EB3467D6
>> ( 1B48 077D 66F6 9DB0 FDC2 A409 FA54 EB34 67D6 )
>> gpg --keyserver pgp.mit.edu --recv-keys EB3467D6
>>
>> Xander: This is just too much. I mean, yesterday's my life like,
>> uh oh, pop quiz. Today, it's rain of toads.
>>
>
>
>
>
> ------------------------------------
>
> To unsubscribe from this list, please email LINUX_Newbies-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com & you will be removed.Yahoo! Groups Links
>
>
>

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
To unsubscribe from this list, please email LINUX_Newbies-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com & you will be removed.
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment