Thursday, May 3, 2012

Re: [LINUX_Newbies] How to see my Router

 

I remember these woes. I have kids and different laptops, Asus EeePC,
Dell, HP.....

It became a mater of chosing a distro. My IRLP/VOIP runs CentOS 4.8
(that is fixed)

However, all the various wifi cards etc (Dell gave the most grief here)
made me try various live-cds.

I settled on PCLinuxOS (we use Gnome & XFCE)
and on Debian 6 as a secondary.

PCLinuxOS was the only distro that had enough drivers to work on
Everything. Linux Mint came in second. Debian 6 joined second place when
it finally made 6. but Debian is more for long term stable use and I do
just that.

Test different LiveCDs. I had a very old Dell that the only thing it
could work with was PCLinuxOS ZEN edition which is a minimal gnome
desktop and it was the only distro which would fully boot and recognize
evrything on this old desktop.

My understanding is that much of this all rides on which kernel version
a distro uses.

Anyway, dont be afraid to experiment and try them. Try the Magazine
Linux Format. A but pricy but it is great to learn form and stay
up-to-date plus you get a DVD every month with distros and programs to try.

What do I know? I never had this much fun in Windows ;-)

Scott wrote:
>
> These might be tricky with CentOS. Generally, one tries to get to card

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
To unsubscribe from this list, please email LINUX_Newbies-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com & you will be removed.
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment