Tuesday, December 25, 2012

[LINUX_Newbies] Re: NEWBIE with first question

 



--- In LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com, Roy <linuxcanuck@...> wrote:
>
> The sources list edit is a editing a text file, but you will need to use
> sudo to open the editor. That is complicated for a newbie.
> Roy
> Using Kubuntu 12.10, 64-bit
> Location: Canada
>

The syntax of /etc/apt/sources.list is simple enough. I feel it is certainly worthwhile to master. I would be missing critical system components if it was not for adding repository locations to my file.

I can't stand terminal editors so I grant the root user access to my X session so I can use a sane GUI editor with this command:

pfred1@buck:~$ xhost +local:root

I have synaptic installed, but I never use it. I mean I have, but it generally doesn't appeal to me. I like aptitude though, and use it often, for whatever that is worth. In fact I just used aptitude to check the status of synaptic on this system. I haven't used synaptic on this PC in so long I couldn't remember if I had it installed, or not. Admittedly I am not too crazy about aptitude's ncurses interface, but just to do a show, a search, or install, I use aptitude all of the time.

__._,_.___
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (20)
Recent Activity:
To unsubscribe from this list, please email LINUX_Newbies-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com & you will be removed.
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment