Friday, December 28, 2012

Re: [LINUX_Newbies] Re: NEWBIE with first question

 



Fr Dez 28 17:17:12 2012

Good evening.

>>
>> Do Dez 27 18:06:28 2012
>> Good evening.
>> Thank You for help.
>>
>>> The sources list edit is a editing a text file, but you
>> will need to use
>>> sudo to open the editor. That is complicated for a
>> newbie.
>>> Roy
>>> Using Kubuntu 12.10, 64-bit
>>> Location: Canada
>> Should I open
>> Sudo
>> passwort
>> mc
>> and there the editor?
>
> I don't use Midnite Commander. I just use whatever GUI editor I
happen to have installed, on a KDE system that would be kwrite, and on
Gnome gedit.
*
Is is possible to start an editor with the rights of the admin?

>> The syntax of /etc/apt/sources.list is simple enough. I feel
>> it is certainly worthwhile to master. I would be missing
>> critical system components if it was not for adding
>> repository locations to my file.
>> *
>> Is it dangerous to open system files?
>
> It is only dangerous if you make a mistake. How dangerous depends on
the error too. I've never crippled a system by making an editing error
in a configuration file, but that is not to say it is impossible to do.
I have made plenty of mistakes and had to go back and repair them too.
Then usually things that I want to work don't until I have corrected my
mistakes. Often they weren't working before I made mistakes either so
the damage is inconsequential.
*
Ok.

> One way to protect yourself from editing errors is to make a backup
file of the file you plan on editing before you make any changes to it.
That way if things go badly you can revert to the original file.
*
Can a problem only happen during booting?
And if really there is a problem, should then I boot with a Live-CD?
>> *

> Synaptic is good if you don't know what you are looking for, aptitude
is better if you do. I guess every new user should try to scroll through
synaptic once. I used to try on every fresh install I did.
*
I did it very often.
Question:
What is Midori and what is Midori private?

> Pro tip: Make sure all of your repository sources are enabled. Often
the "contrib" and "non-free" can be disabled by default. There are
useful software packages located in those categories. How packages end
up being classified is beyond me trying to explain it, and those names
likely don't mean what you may think they do. "non-free" for instance
doesn't mean it costs you any money, it just means the source code may
not be available. Which if all you want to do is run a program is not
too important to most users.
>
> I don't run Ubuntu so I don't know what their policies are regarding
defaults. But they essentially borrow the system from the distribution I
do run, Debian, so it basically works the same.
*
Thank You for help.

Regards Sophie

__._,_.___
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (28)
Recent Activity:
To unsubscribe from this list, please email LINUX_Newbies-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com & you will be removed.
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment