Thursday, December 27, 2012

Re: [LINUX_Newbies] Re: NEWBIE with first question

 



Do Dez 27 18:06:28 2012
Good evening.
Thank You for help.

> The sources list edit is a editing a text file, but you will need to use
> sudo to open the editor. That is complicated for a newbie.
> Roy
> Using Kubuntu 12.10, 64-bit
> Location: Canada
Should I open
Sudo
passwort
mc
and there the editor?

The syntax of /etc/apt/sources.list is simple enough. I feel it is
certainly worthwhile to master. I would be missing critical system
components if it was not for adding repository locations to my file.
*
Is it dangerous to open system files?
*
I can't stand terminal editors so I grant the root user access to my X
session so I can use a sane GUI editor with this command:

pfred1@buck:~$ xhost +local:root
*
OK

I have synaptic installed, but I never use it. I mean I have, but it
generally doesn't appeal to me.
*
Is it dangerous to use Synaptic?
Or is it just more easy for a beginner?

I like aptitude though, and use it often, for whatever that is worth.
In fact I just used aptitude to check the status of synaptic on this
system. I haven't used synaptic on this PC in so long I couldn't
remember if I had it installed, or not. Admittedly I am not too crazy
about aptitude's ncurses interface, but just to do a show, a search, or
install, I use aptitude all of the time.
*
Thank You.

Sophie

__._,_.___
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (24)
Recent Activity:
To unsubscribe from this list, please email LINUX_Newbies-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com & you will be removed.
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment