Saturday, December 22, 2012

Re: [LINUX_Newbies] Update Pangolin-Quantal

Sa Dez 22 16:54:02 2012
Good evening
Thank You for Your help.
I am adding my questions:

On Fri, Dec 21, 2012 at 5:39 AM, highskywhy@yahoo.de
<highskywhy@yahoo.de> wrote:
> Fr Dez 21 12:38:21 2012 Good morning. Thank You for help. I did "The
> update manager GUI will offer you 12.10 Xubuntu" Because I am using
> German language I could only find:"Aktualisierungen." I did it. But my
> feeling ism this is still Pangolin.

open a terminal and type without the quotes "cat /etc/issue" to return
numerical version id
type "cat /etc/lsb-release" to see also the "name" of the distribution.
*
This is the result:
Ubuntu 12.04.1 LTS \n \l
+
DISTRIB_ID=Ubuntu
DISTRIB_RELEASE=12.04
DISTRIB_CODENAME=precise
DISTRIB_DESCRIPTION="Ubuntu 12.04.1 LTS"
What is the difference "cat /etc/issuecat" and "less /etc/issue"
The last tool I could find in www.
Is less the end of the file?
> Another question, I do this once a week, is this ok or should I do
more:"sudo rm
> /var/lib/apt/lists/* -vf sudo apt-get clean sudo apt-get update
> --fix-missing
I don't see any reason to do more. I don't know why you would really
want to remove the list every week anyway. the update command is
designed to take care of that.
*
Thank You for the question.
I did install Xubuntu. Fine. One month later "update" and package
manager and softwaremanager were destroyed.
So I could find in the www:
"rm /var/lib/apt/lists/* -vf sudo apt-get clean sudo apt-get update"
Now update and package and softwaremanager are ok.
I do not know why, but I did it.
I think or I suggest, something is bringing dirt on my Linux.
Then I was adding fix-missing because sometimes the update is not
running well.
I am using Xubuntu xfce and up I could see a red warning.
rm /var/lib/apt/lists/* -vf did clean the warning.
> ((Should I delete old emails and only > send the new question for
saving space))
You should remove unnecessary information from your posts. But you
should not delete everything, as that makes it very difficult for
someone to know what you are talking about or responding too. Also,
this is a bottom posting group, meaning you should always put your
replies under the previous email like I have been doing here. Thanks!
*
Is it ok, I am writing between Your words?
*
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LINUX_Newbies
Is this the link for reading the emails online?
*
Is it right:It is better to use the terminal then to use the GUI?
Regards Sophie

Thank You.



------------------------------------

To unsubscribe from this list, please email LINUX_Newbies-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com & you will be removed.Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LINUX_Newbies/

<*> Your email settings:
Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LINUX_Newbies/join
(Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
LINUX_Newbies-digest@yahoogroups.com
LINUX_Newbies-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
LINUX_Newbies-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

No comments:

Post a Comment