Sunday, December 23, 2012

Re: [LINUX_Newbies] Update Pangolin-Quantal

 


Good evening
So Dez 23 16:39:10 2012

On Dec 22, 2012 10:07 AM, "highskywhy@yahoo.de" <highskywhy@yahoo.de> wrote:
>
>
> type "cat /etc/lsb-release" to see also the "name" of the distribution.
> *
> This is the result:
> Ubuntu 12.04.1 LTS \n \l
> +
> DISTRIB_ID=Ubuntu
> DISTRIB_RELEASE=12.04
> DISTRIB_CODENAME=precise
> DISTRIB_DESCRIPTION="Ubuntu 12.04.1 LTS"

Ik, so you are updated to precise pangolin.
*
Thank You for help.
I did install Ocelot and during install
the software asked: Do You like Pangolin
so from the beginning I was using Pangolin.
Is this a problem?
How are the upgrades running in Linux?
I expected: Every 6 months I have to update:
Hardy..Ocelot..Pangolin...Quantal.. or is this wrong?

> What is the difference "cat /etc/issuecat" and "less /etc/issue"

Cat will dump everything to your screen at once. Fine for small files,
but of little use for large ones. Less only displays one screen or
specified nber of lines at a time, and let's you move backward and
forward in a file easily. Type "man less" to see more details of the
less command.
*
So "cat" does show the contence of a file? Isnt it?

> The last tool I could find in www.
> Is less the end of the file?

No, but you could start it that way I think...
*
I did it "cat /etc/issuecat" and it said: I am still using Pangolin.

>Snip>

> > ((Should I delete old emails and only > send the new question for
saving space))
> You should remove unnecessary information from your posts. But you
> should not delete everything, as that makes it very difficult for
> someone to know what you are talking about or responding too. Also,
> this is a bottom posting group, meaning you should always put your
> replies under the previous email like I have been doing here. Thanks!
> *
> Is it ok, I am writing between Your words?

Yep! That's great.
*
Thank You. This is a very friendly community.
I do my best to be polite.

> *
> http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LINUX_Newbies
> Is this the link for reading the emails online?

Looks right. I usually work from email. I'd have to check. You can
always get there from your yahoo groups Page.
*
I am just asking.Because very often I am or we are travelling around so
maybe I am visiting my neighbor for asking something and so there I can
read the posts.
Outside my home.

> *
> Is it right:It is better to use the terminal then to use the GUI?
It is just a matter of preference. In some cases, the terminal is more
flexible than the gui...
*
Is this right:The advance of the terminal is, You can see a list of
mistakes?
_cheers!

Regards Sophie
Thank You.

__._,_.___
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (11)
Recent Activity:
To unsubscribe from this list, please email LINUX_Newbies-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com & you will be removed.
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment