Wednesday, September 21, 2011

[LINUX_Newbies] More About Auto Docking

 

Thanks for the responses. When I started to use Linux about four or
five years ago, I don't recall ever having the problem of having a
program automatically dock to the system tray or panel when I minimized
it. I used Linux for several years without any such issue. It has
only been in the last year or so that I've run into this problem with
the introduction of Unity, I guess. Maybe there's something I just
don't understand. In other words, if I happened to be in the middle of
composing an email to someone, but felt the need to check something out
on the Internet and wanted to just put the email I'm composing in the
background and get it back once I'm finished, that's what I'm talking
about. I don't know how to retrieve it, even though it is apparently
still there. For example, I look for it on the Panel or just re-open
Mozilla Thunderbird, for example, and the email does not come back up.

But, if I click shut-down, it suddenly appears. Anyway, to make
Alltray come up automatically and perform this function, would I simply
have to make it part of my start-up programs that comes up every time I
reboot Ubuntu? That is if I try the Unity classic or Unity 2D. But if
I use KDE, I don't seem to have that problem, so I guess that's what
I'll stick with.

Thanks, --Jerry in Michigan

Re: Auto Docking When Application Minimized
<http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LINUX_Newbies/message/29875;_ylc=X3oDMTJxbXJiMTM4BF9TAzk3MzU5NzE1BGdycElkAzIxODEwOQRncnBzcElkAzE3MDUwMDY1ODAEbXNnSWQDMjk4NzUEc2VjA2Rtc2cEc2xrA3Ztc2cEc3RpbWUDMTMxNjYwMDI0MQ-->

Posted by: "Roy" linuxcanuck@gmail.com
<mailto:linuxcanuck@gmail.com?Subject=%20Re%3A%20Auto%20Docking%20When%20Application%20Minimized>
linuxcanuck <http://profiles.yahoo.com/linuxcanuck>

Tue Sep 20, 2011 5:52 am (PDT)

AWN is a dock and not a docking utility.
To answer his question specifically there is no Linux OS that I know
of that
behaves the way that he wants. He may want to check out.Zorin OS
(never used
it) which emulates Windows.

Alltray will do what he wants and it is on the repos of many
distros. The
trick will be to make it autorun which is done differently in Gnome
and KDE.

Roy
Sent by Android device

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
To unsubscribe from this list, please email LINUX_Newbies-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com & you will be removed.
MARKETPLACE

Stay on top of your group activity without leaving the page you're on - Get the Yahoo! Toolbar now.

.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment