Wednesday, January 21, 2015

[LINUX_Newbies] Lost Serial Port?

 

I've loaded a Compaq laptop with my 1st attempt at Linux using Linux Mint.  I have some test equipment that the manufacturer says will run under Linux.  It interfaces via a serial <> USB port connection. The setup includes a script to detect the port. To get the serial port number you run the perl script:


      ./detect-re.pl


I finally navigated to the appropriate DIR with the file and tried the script.  The result:


    bash:  ./detect-re.pl:  Permission denied


I'm not sure what that's all about but I then tried to run the script in a different manor:


     perl detect-re.pl


This time it identified the test equipment and gave me the information:


     Serial port 1: /dev/ttyUSB0  


Now for the tricky part.  The needed software is Windoze and I opened it with WINE.  As instructed in the manufacturer's README file I set the port to ttyUSB0 (that's a zero and not O by the way) and restarted the software.  This time I got, in part, the following:


    The program could not open /dev/ttyUSB0 to communicate to the analyzer


I've only been playing with Linux for a few days and I'm quite sure that there's some pilot error involved here as the learning curve is VERY steep.  Any ideas or suggestions are welcome.


Thanks,


Rick



__._,_.___

Posted by: ve7tk@yahoo.ca
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (1)
To unsubscribe from this list, please email LINUX_Newbies-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com & you will be removed.

.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment