Sunday, January 25, 2015

Re: [LINUX_Newbies] How to Install The Latest VLC Release in Ubuntu 12.04 - OMG! Ubuntu!

 

You do not need to use the terminal. You can edit sources lists, install packages etc from GUI applications like Synaptic or Software Centre. Use the search function to look for the package in question instead of typing into a terminal.

Almost all things in Linux can be done in two ways, commandline or graphical. Most advice will involve the commandline because most mentors are old school, but that does not mean that it is the only way or the best way for everyone. When requesting help specify that you want graphical help.

If your computer messes up, though, sometimes the only way to fix it is through the commandline. Even, then you can often just cut and paste commands and don't really have to know what you are typing or pasting.

Roy


On Thursday, January 22, 2015 8:18 AM, "Gene Henley mhenley2@verizon.net [LINUX_Newbies]" <LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com> wrote:


 
http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2014/02/install-latest-vlc-release-ubuntu-12-04

Are these people cry babies? Newbies may find it difficult to understand WHY
VLC requires terminal fiddling. Is there a BETTER way? If so, why not?
Several forums address the reality of VLC video issues by giving work
arounds,
and I am grateful,but wouldn`t it be a bit more productive to address
the fact that
there ARE issues in VLC as to why these issues are there? In other
words,whose job
is it to fix them in the distro before issuing the distro? Is this
dared to be questioned?
Right now, after countless hrs of messing with VLC in various distros
in various computers
(At least 10 including Dells Compaqs and AsRocks,only one has come up
issue free with
VLC. Ubuntu is free. I use the ONLY computer whichworks well in all apps
I installed
INCLUDING VLC. It`s an AsRock. I have no clue as to why I can be so
blessed as to have
ONE computer that works so well in Ubuntu.
Sigh. I pray I haven`t strained the patience of anyone to the point of
untimely departure
from this life. Shame on me if I have. Please know , I implore you. I am
grateful for the advice
i`ve received. Should I have been determined to become proficient in
terminal,perhaps
I`d have had this AsRock working so well much quicker. Woooohoooo. It
does everything I
want. Don`t ask me how. I don`t know. Burning
disks,email,browsing,forums,business,printing,
etc. I have no complaints. I will give this AsRock a hug. It works well
in 14.10 after being UPGRADED
from 14.04.1. Should we inform the programmers? Would it do any bloody good?
Oh well. Patience is my virtue. I am determined to scrap
Microshaft and go onward with
using only Mac and 64 bit Linux boxes in my business. Keep the faith.Now
I can get some work done.
Cheers
Respectfully
Gene Henley



__._,_.___

Posted by: Linux Canuck <linuxcanuck@yahoo.ca>
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (3)
To unsubscribe from this list, please email LINUX_Newbies-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com & you will be removed.

.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment