Sunday, January 25, 2015

Re: [LINUX_Newbies] Linux Mint 17.1 four editions

 

Not having been part of this conversation previously, I am not sure about the VLC issues. VLC uses its own codecs and does not use those supplied by the distribution. So if you are having issues, it is not likely related to the distro, but with VLC itself. It may however have to do with the version of VLC supplied by the said distribution and compatibility with your hardware. You can try to get around this by using the PPA sources in your repositories. If your problem goes beyond VLC, ie. it happens with other applications that do the same thing, then it likely has to do with the installed packages.

For newer VLC: Open a terminal and cut and paste each line below separately.

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:videolan/stable-daily
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install vlc

Note: to paste into a terminal use the shift key as well as the traditional Ctrl+V. (Shift Ctrl+V). Then press enter to carry out the command. Or you can use the menu under Edit. Also note that you can use the up arrow to scroll through previous commands. I dislike typing so every little bit helps.

If this does not fix the VLC problem then we will have to look at other possibilities.


Roy


On Wednesday, January 21, 2015 8:42 AM, "Gene Henley mhenley2@verizon.net [LINUX_Newbies]" <LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com> wrote:


 
Roy, I cannot thank you enough!
 

I`m a NEWBIE with capital letters.
 So far, Ubuntu is very good,but I
try to minimize terminal usage. 
That doesn`t work for VLC. Many
have said they have no issues. 
I don`t doubt their belief. What 
I do know is that I have one 32 bit 
3 gig box with Ubuntu 14.10,
previously ungraded from 14.04.1
(which had no VLC video}. That 
box now has has NO issues with
 ANY app! According to my google
 searches,many have had problems 
with VLC. FACT! It appears to me that
solutions for VLC issues are far from 
being consistent.
 That discorages me not,but meanwhile
I will use this one out of four Ubuntu
boxes until I can get the others to work.
I`m in business. Time is money,but so is 
the real fact that with Linux I save because
I do not invest in all the security and upgrades
that are required with Microshaft.
(Of course,I still use my Macs.)
PS. I tried Mint and Ubuntu on several of my
Dells in dual boot. VLC STILL would not work.
  Again. My thanks to all on Newbie for their
informed suggestions.
           Cheers
                Gene Henley
        
  



On Jan 21, 2015, at 8:11 AM, Linux Canuck linuxcanuck@yahoo.ca [LINUX_Newbies] wrote:

 

This is a two year old article that has some still good info: The ultimate Linux starter kit for small business

If Yahoo strips the link try googling for:  The ultimate Linux starter kit for small business

Using an Ubuntu variant or Ubuntu will give you the most of everything. The biggest community. The most online support. The largest number of packages (applications). etc.

Installing Ubuntu is a good start. If you do not like the interface then install a different one, like KDE, XFCE, Cinnamon, Mate. LXE, etc. You can switch desktop environments at login. Choosing Mint is a bit more limiting. You get Ubuntu's repositories, but you cannot install Unity, if you want to try that. Using Ubuntu you get top try them all. Other than that it is pretty much the same thing at this point. That will likely change next year. 

Ubuntu is going with a new startup init system, systemd (as are most distros). Mint is still divided on it. Ubuntu is using a new display manager soon which will be unique to it (Mir) and Mint is going with Wayland. That will not affect users for a bit, but it is something to think about if you are deciding between Mint and Ubuntu. Ubuntu or GNOME leads and Mint has to decide based on that, having one foot in each camp. The gap is growing making some users edgy. Mint has a solid base and good leadership and it has not let users down thus far. Business users tend to not like change too much so I am mentioning it for that reason. We are in for a bit of flux in all distros. Using the LTS will shield users for five years. Going with six month releases makes you a bit of a guinea pig. 

Many business users like openSuSE, but it has fewer users, less support and fewer package choices. However, it is a solid environment. Just be warned that it is a different beast from the Debian derivatives, like Mint and Ubuntu. It uses a different package management system (rpm) and has a different admin approach. My experience is that new users can become frustrated, but experienced ones can be quite happy.

For support, Ubuntu and its official derivatives are tops. They release a new version like clockwork every six months. Mint is about a month behind and their versions will only be LTS releases. But LTS is probably best for business. For the *buntu's that means version 14.04 and do not upgrade till 16.04. The intermediate versions require six month upgrades or you lose support after nine months. That can be daunting for newbies. I am not sure what the Mint equivalent of 14.05 is as I do not use it. Debian would also be a worthy choice, but it is not newbie friendly.

For documents you have lots of choice from OpenOffice.org to GoogleDocs to Evernote, etc. There is lots of cloud support and many backup choices. Security is built in with Linux. Use a strong password and do not waiver in using it. Then you do not need all of the anti-this or that as you do in Windows. 

Ask lots of questions and when you do provide as much information as possible.

Good luck!

Roy




On Monday, January 19, 2015 11:32 AM, "Gene Henley mhenley2@verizon.net [LINUX_Newbies]" <LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com> wrote:


 
As I understand it, there are four editions. I have been advised to" Try different editions and distros and settle on that which" you like best."
   Mmmmm. I would,except that I defer to experience. What I react to as "like" may not be the best for business. So, I respectfully defer to
those that know more than I. Again. I am in business in home office, planning to use several work stations. I freely admit my lack of 
experience.That`s why I post in "Newbie",and why I will respect and analyze answers to my questions. I have tried Zorin,Mint,and Ubuntu 
on a limited number of computers. This is no hobby. I`m serious. I think I`ve found the place for info.
                       Thanks
                            Respectfully
                             Gene H
                      

.








__._,_.___

Posted by: Linux Canuck <linuxcanuck@yahoo.ca>
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (32)
To unsubscribe from this list, please email LINUX_Newbies-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com & you will be removed.

.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment