Friday, January 23, 2015

Re: [LINUX_Newbies] How to Play a DVD in Ubuntu · How to Ubuntu

 

A few years back I set up a dual-boot for someone who wanted to play DVDs and music, being tired of WinXP bugs...I tried a bunch of Live CDs and finally picked Ultimate Linux based off Ubuntu and Mint...he was impressed with it.
For myself, on a laptop with a bad hard drive, I picked Puppy Linux, so I could remove it and still watch a movie I bought that my visitor didn't want to watch. When I pick a Linux to try for myself, I look for reviews on Distrowatch, etc. that can help me weed out those that might have a larger learning curve...I pick to install those with thirty party stuff, so far I can play DVDs without having to cut and paste stuff into into a terminal. Sometimes I still go to Synaptic, first logging in with password, then check if there are updates to install by reloading it, and then search for DVD playing, unless you know the program you want.
Happy learning,
Joan in Reno


From: "Gene Henley mhenley2@verizon.net [LINUX_Newbies]" <LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com>
To: LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Friday, January 23, 2015 9:43 AM
Subject: [LINUX_Newbies] How to Play a DVD in Ubuntu · How to Ubuntu

 
I applaud your honesty. I also defer to your experience. My take on Ubuntu and other distros is 
should one want to get all the apps to be productive for ones wants in using Ubuntu,then the
terminal usage is not just nice to have,but NECESSARY. I wonder. How many,including yours truly,
are wound through the wonderful world of installing apps before they have the grass roots knowledge
 to go systematically through the preliminaries of what a real NEWBIE is? 
  For example, I am a misguided Microshaft person. I also am fairly good at using my Macs,and 
training in Macs is pretty good,IMHO. So is the training in Linux groups, but not starting from grade one
 that Newbies may require. Example.
 You have interest in movies. No quibble from me. I just don`t waste my time on them. I`m in business.
So,the least amount of wheel spinning I can do to download and use necessary apps,the better. Should
 that require the usage of terminal,then so be it. But, first things first. Is terminal proficiency a priority? 
  I defer to you. If so, I will stop mucking about aimlessly,and start the learning process.
                     Cheers
                           Gene Henley
                                 Long Island
                                      



To be honest though, my knowledge there is a bit dated as I don't
really focus too much on desktop anymore, I do strictly cloud and
enterprise these days, and personally, I haven't watched a DVD on a
computer in YEARS. I prefer to watch my movies on my nice 55" HDTV
using a proper dedicated device, but that's just my choice. I do
sometimes watch them on a tablet when I travel, or on my MacBook Air,
but even then I watch digital copies, not optical media copies.

Heck, I dont even own a computer DVD drive anymore... except for one
USB drive I use maybe once a year when I need to create a data CD for
test work.

Cheers,

Jeff

>
> --
> Scott Robbins
> PGP keyID EB3467D6
> ( 1B48 077D 66F6 9DB0 FDC2 A409 FA54 EB34 67D6 )
> gpg --keyserver pgp.mit.edu --recv-keys EB3467D6
>
>
>
> ------------------------------------
> Posted by: Scott <scottro@nyc.rr.com>
> ------------------------------------
>
> To unsubscribe from this list, please email LINUX_Newbies-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com & you will be removed.
> ------------------------------------
>
> Yahoo Groups Links
>
>
>



__._,_.___

Posted by: Joan Leach <jleach728@sbcglobal.net>
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (10)
To unsubscribe from this list, please email LINUX_Newbies-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com & you will be removed.

.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment