Thursday, January 22, 2015

Re: [LINUX_Newbies] How to Install The Latest VLC Release in Ubuntu 12.04 - OMG! Ubuntu!

 

On Thu, Jan 22, 2015 at 08:18:15AM -0500, Gene Henley mhenley2@verizon.net [LINUX_Newbies] wrote:
> http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2014/02/install-latest-vlc-release-ubuntu-12-04
>
> Are these people cry babies? Newbies may find it difficult to understand WHY
> VLC requires terminal fiddling. Is there a BETTER way? If so, why not?
> Several forums address the reality of VLC video issues by giving work
> arounds,
> and I am grateful,but wouldn`t it be a bit more productive to address
> the fact that
> there ARE issues in VLC as to why these issues are there? In other
> words,whose job
> is it to fix them in the distro before issuing the distro? Is this
> dared to be questioned?

Often, it depends upon how the question is phrased. Call someone
incompetent and you've gone a long way towards closing their mind.

This crummy software you made doesn't work is less likely to get results
than, While I appreciate this free software, it's not working for me. Is
there something I'm missing? (There is a good chance that it is something
you're missing, as it probably works for the majority.)

That doesn't mean it's perfect, but more information you can give a
developer, the easier it is for them to troubleshoot. If it doesn't work at
all in Mint, then it's the Mint packagers' responsibility. If it's not
working for a few people in Mint, it's a different thing.

For example, I might find that program Y doesn't work for me, but it seems
to be working for everyone else (judging by lack of bug reports, google
search, and so on.) Then, I have to assume that it's some odd
configuration that I have on my system.

In fairness, packagers (as opposed to developers--a developer might create
the program, then a packager makes it into a deb file) might only test the
package with 5 different desktops, see that it works, and send it along.

Then, I come along with a 6th desktop (by desktop, in this case, I mean
window manager or desktop environment, like Gnome, KDE, fluxbox and so on),
only to find that the program isn't working. It might be that the program
required library X, which is provided by the 5 desktops that they tested,
but not provided by the desktop I'm using.

Hopefully, that's clear. (I'm thinking of a few specific cases--in one
case, the hplip scanner part of the program didn't work with Fedora. It
turned out that they hadn't, and still haven't, made libsane-aio a
dependency of the package. I tracked it down by seeing what Debian
installed, which worked, and what libraries were missing from Fedora's
install).

> Right now, after countless hrs of messing with VLC in various distros
> in various computers
> (At least 10 including Dells Compaqs and AsRocks,only one has come up
> issue free with
> VLC. Ubuntu is free. I use the ONLY computer whichworks well in all apps
> I installed
> INCLUDING VLC. It`s an AsRock. I have no clue as to why I can be so
> blessed as to have
> ONE computer that works so well in Ubuntu.
> Sigh. I pray I haven`t strained the patience of anyone to the point of
> untimely departure
> from this life. Shame on me if I have. Please know , I implore you. I am
> grateful for the advice
> i`ve received. Should I have been determined to become proficient in
> terminal,perhaps
> I`d have had this AsRock working so well much quicker. Woooohoooo. It
> does everything I
> want. Don`t ask me how. I don`t know. Burning
> disks,email,browsing,forums,business,printing,
> etc. I have no complaints. I will give this AsRock a hug. It works well
> in 14.10 after being UPGRADED
> from 14.04.1. Should we inform the programmers? Would it do any bloody good?

Well, you might get some help on say Mint forums, saying, VLC version is
working in Ubuntu but not Mint. Version number is (and then giving the
version number.)

It's also good for us to see that you're able to use Ubuntu without having
to use the terminal at all. It might help the rest of us when deciding what
to recommend to someone deciding to try Linux.

--
Scott Robbins
PGP keyID EB3467D6
( 1B48 077D 66F6 9DB0 FDC2 A409 FA54 EB34 67D6 )
gpg --keyserver pgp.mit.edu --recv-keys EB3467D6

__._,_.___

Posted by: Scott <scottro@nyc.rr.com>
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (2)
To unsubscribe from this list, please email LINUX_Newbies-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com & you will be removed.

.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment