Friday, January 23, 2015

Re: [LINUX_Newbies] How to Play a DVD in Ubuntu · How to Ubuntu

 

On Fri, Jan 23, 2015 at 06:28:41PM -0500, J dreadpiratejeff@gmail.com [LINUX_Newbies] wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 23, 2015 at 12:43 PM, Gene Henley mhenley2@verizon.net
> [LINUX_Newbies] <LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
> > I applaud your honesty. I also defer to your experience. My take on Ubuntu and other distros is
> > should one want to get all the apps to be productive for ones wants in using Ubuntu,then the
> > terminal usage is not just nice to have,but NECESSARY. I wonder. How many,including yours truly,
> > are wound through the wonderful world of installing apps before they have the grass roots knowledge
> > to go systematically through the preliminaries of what a real NEWBIE is?
>
> Not at all... you can do most things via GUI, I'll just put on my smug
> superiority face and say "Real users use the terminal, harumph" :)
> Scott will appreciate the humor in that.

By the way Gene, Jeff is probably the best person to help with Ubuntu on
this forum. :)

I've set up a couple of users with variations of Ubuntu, but I did the
setting up so that they wouldn't have to.

>
> Last time I set up a DVD player on Linux, I had to find the source
> code for libdvdcss and manually hack/compile it, install it and then
> get the players to work. Somewhere I still have the hard-copy of the
> dvdcs

There is a libdvdcss package I think. In Fedora, which I use more than
Ubuntu, there's a repo that remains open soley for that rpm. In FreeBSD I
think I just got it installed with mplayer, but I don't remember. Like
Jeff, I don't use actual DVDs very often anymore, I tend to use media
files.

>
> Macs make everything nicer ;-) I own an MBA and love it. And I say
> that as a 20+ year Linux veteran.

I thought your degree would be in CS? Oh.....THAT kind of MBA, never mind.
:)

--
Scott Robbins
PGP keyID EB3467D6
( 1B48 077D 66F6 9DB0 FDC2 A409 FA54 EB34 67D6 )
gpg --keyserver pgp.mit.edu --recv-keys EB3467D6

__._,_.___

Posted by: Scott <scottro@nyc.rr.com>
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (12)
To unsubscribe from this list, please email LINUX_Newbies-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com & you will be removed.

.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment