Thursday, March 21, 2013

[LINUX_Newbies] Re: NAS [OT] was "grub and how to delete Ubuntu

 



--- In LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com, "C. Beck" <usabecker@...> wrote:
>
> Alright. Thanks for the explanation, that makes sense. I was hoping
> there might be some magic to run a NAS server from a separate
> partition but "installed" like you would, for instance, an ssh
> client/server. This probably makes no sense. My computer knowledge
> really starts to break down when I get to the point of how software
> interacts with hardware and how sofware is stacked/layered on top of
> the kernel. I really need to find some time to read up on all of that
> one day.
>

Maybe there is some magical way to run NFS but I do it the boring old way of just sharing a directory. I guess that directory could be mounted on its own partition. I'm not sure what difference that would make.

The kernel does have NFS built into it but I usually use user space clients and the server. How NFS works without any additional software installed is a mystery to me but I have used it early on installing a distribution on the client side and for the most part it is the same as with additional software installed. Once I mount the share I can use it like I normally do. Although sometimes things get a bit strange if I shutdown without unmounting those shares first. Apparently using a real client helps out somewhat there? Might be something else going on there though that I am not aware of.

Gentoo has the effect of making me feel like a newbie now. It is all a bit off from what I am used to.

__._,_.___
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (7)
Recent Activity:
To unsubscribe from this list, please email LINUX_Newbies-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com & you will be removed.
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment