Saturday, March 9, 2013

Re: [LINUX_Newbies] grub and how to delete "Ubuntu";two Linuxdistribution,I want to delete one distribution;gparted?

 


Sa Mär 09 13:19:41 2013
Good afternoon
Thank You for help.

> I want to delete Ubuntu so I can see with
> gparted
> where there is Ubuntu and Xubuntu?
> When I would delete Ubuntu, what will happen with grub and booting?

Ah, that is an important question. You would first need to figure out
where grub is at to know if you are going to have an issue..
*
OK
I only
know how to do this on Grub Legacy, and you should be using Grub2 if
you installed from a disk version of ubuntu 9.10 or higher. *
I did install
first Ubuntu Hardy and no update.
Then I installed
Xubuntu Pangolin
and now with updates there is
Xubuntu 13.04.

Hopefully
someone can help you. I can tell you that it is not too complicated
to reinstall Grub or another bootloader from a live CD if you destroy
it.
*
OK

But it would be a better option to get it installed and booting
from the MBR and the partition you want to keep I think. If you know
that you use Grub-Legacy, just let me know and I will try to provide
some details.
*
Is this more easy then to use gparted?

> My reccomendation though, is it would be better to have a separate
> partion for Ubuntu where you can store files.
> *
> I do not understand.
> I only want to use now Xubuntu.

Sorry I got confused and thought you wanted to get rid of Xubuntu, not
Ubuntu.
*
No
I like more Xubuntu then Ubuntu.
So I want to delete Ubuntu because the last three months I only used
Xutuntu.

Should still be the same, just switch those two words in
everything I wrote! Essentially, you have the root directory of
Xubuntu on one smaller partition. This is where system files live and
where programs are installed. A separate larger partition can be used
to mount "/home". All of the user files and most
setting/configuration files live here (for example, browser bookmarks,
your theme GUI, font preferences, etc.).
*
Is this more easy then to use gparted?

With this setup, it is
possible to upgrade, or even uninstall your operating system without
touching all of the documents and settings you currently use.
*
Ubuntu is empty
does mean there is only os and Firefox and so on
but no data files created by me.
So I can "destroy" the whole Ubuntu distribution means all 40 gb can be
cleaned.

This is easiest to set up during a new installation, but it is
possible for you to do the following:

1) delete your ubuntu partition
*
With gparted?
2) shrink your existing Xubuntu partition to ~18 GB
*
Ok

3) Create a new 62 GB partition
*
OK

4) Migrate the /home directory of your Xubuntu partition to your new
60 GB partition.
*
OK

Now the 60 GB partition is used exclusively for your file storage.
*
OK.

What does a Linux System need?

5 gb for Linux itself?
5 gb for tmp?
And
the rest is for private files, isnt it?

As
you guess, this is not the most efficient use of space, because the 20
GB partition will not be completely full (to save space for upgrades,
extra kernels, and programs that will be installed in the future.
*
OK.

On
the other hand, it does give you less to worry about setting up next
time you upgrade your operating system or installing a new one. The
migration of /home is a little involved, but you can find current
instruction on the internet that support Grub2.
*
OK
Question:
If I install a Linux on an empty PC
and alway look
there are 5 gb free
should I have a problem with upgrades?

> Many users have one
> partition for the system ( ~ 20-25 GB would be a good size these
> days?), and then allocate the rest of the hard drive to a seprate
> partition.
> *
> What did I install:
> First Ubuntu with 80 gb.
> Then I installed one month later Xubuntu.
> And during install Xubuntu
> PC splitted hd to 40 gb Xubuntu and 40 gb Ubuntu.
> In the morning when the PC is booting
> it is offering to me Ubuntu or Xubuntu.
> Last three months I always booted Xubuntu
> this is the reason I want to delete Ubuntu.

I can only tell you how the system would behave with Grub_legacy,
which won't help you much.
*
How about:

gparted.

Then
sudo update-grub
AND
sudo grub-install

but I would guess that most of the
important grub files reside on your ubuntu partition since you
installed that first.
*
OK

You should be able to install grub2 to your
current Xubuntu partition, then boot with it first to make sure it is
working, then get rid of Ubuntu. Maybe check the first explanation on
this link if you don't get help here...:

<http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1014708>

This is sounding a little bit difficult.

> And here is a similar howtogeek link that should give you whatever
> info you need if you just want to delete Xubuntu and have a big single
> partition (like you indicated).
> http://www.howtogeek.com/114503/how-to-resize-your-ubuntu-partitions/
> *
> OK
> As far as I understood
> is this the best way for a clean hd?

I think of "clean" as freshly formatted and without any data.
*
Sorry
this was wrong:
is this the best way for a clean 40 gb Ubuntu-hd?

The
guide linked above will attempt to allow you to resize your existing
partitions without destroying any of the data on that partition.
*
Is there still the Ubuntu and the Xutuntu.
Why not.
If I could have:
40 gb Xubuntu
10 GB Ubuntu without private files.
and then 30 GB hd I am adding to the Xubuntu-os
is this possible?

It
will typically destroy MS windows booting process though (if Windows
is installed on the same hard disk).
*
There is no windows.
Is to clean windows different then to clean a Linux-os?

The best way for "clean" is to
delete and format, followed by a scrub program if you are concerned
about data recovery.
*
Does this mean:
A new pc with a new os?

Regards

Sophie

__._,_.___
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (8)
Recent Activity:
To unsubscribe from this list, please email LINUX_Newbies-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com & you will be removed.
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment