Thursday, March 28, 2013

[LINUX_Newbies] Re: USB Ethernet Adapter (OT) build your own kernel

 



--- In LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com, "pmooney22" <kwacka2@...> wrote:
>
> The O/P requested advice on how to get a particular device working and, with respect to the O/P the comment that they were having difficuly in installing a driver suggested to me that they were new to GNU/Linux.
>
> The O/P did NOT ask (until another poster mentioned this) about configuring the kernel, and posts then moved to whether the driver in question would be in a newer kernel (the file linked is 5 years old, the original driver was a decade ago so a newer kernel is largely irrelevent)

That is nice but I was not replying to the original poster I was replying to you.

>
> I agree with much of what you say; it would be ideal if everybody utilised LFS and built their own drivers; but I'd suggest that comes after topics such as kernel configuration which, in turn, came after software compilation and driver installation, which might (in turn) would follow advice on installing a popular distribution (Mint, Ubuntu et al). I don't expect anybody to advise a user to start off on Gentoo, or even Arch Linux.

I started off with Slackware in the 90s and I survived.

>
> It may well be that the O/P has no interest in developing skills beyond those of a user, rather than an expert on GNU/Linux, and merely wants to use a particular device that they possess. That is their prerogative.

Then it is my prerogative to tell users like that I feel they are wasting their time.
>
> I agree there is nothing magic about compiling a kernel. However I would suggest that there are many linux users that have never compiled a kernel, in the same way there are possibly millions that have never used the 'power'-shell when running Windows, and new users should be encouraged rather than it be suggested that you 'have to' compile a kernel as a first step.

Why? We are talking about Linux aren't we? Either use it, or don't.

>
> Regards

__._,_.___
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (18)
Recent Activity:
To unsubscribe from this list, please email LINUX_Newbies-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com & you will be removed.
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment