Thursday, March 21, 2013

Re: [LINUX_Newbies] Re: grub and how to delete "Ubuntu";two Linuxdistribution,I want to delete one distribution;gparted?

 


Good afternoon
Do Mär 21 13:34:19 2013
Thank You for help.

--- In LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com, "highskywhy@..." <highskywhy@...>
wrote:
>
>
> So Mär 17 07:24:40 2013
> Good morning
> Thank You for email and help.

<snip>

> How can I check this?
> Can I find in www
> the difference between SATA abd PATA?

Keep reading. I explained how to know below.

>
>
> You can figure this out using the following method when
> in Xubuntu. From the command line type:
>
> df -h
> *
> OK
>
>
>
> 7p:~$ df -h
> Dateisystem GröÃ&#159;e Benutzt Verf. Verw% Eingehängt auf
> /dev/sda6 30G 14G 14G 50% /
> udev 1,9G 4,0K 1,9G 1% /dev
> tmpfs 748M 780K 748M 1% /run
> none 5,0M 0 5,0M 0% /run/lock
> none 1,9G 19M 1,9G 1% /run/shm
> none 100M 24K 100M 1% /run/user
> 7p:~$
>
>
> Did I do it right?

yes

*
What is the difference between SATA and PATA?

>
>
> This will give you a list of all partitions currently mounted.
> *
> A litte bit I can understand the result of df -h
>
>
> Now I am using
> Xubuntu
> maybe it is important to know.
>
> There should be one mounted to /. This is the partition on
> which Xubuntu is loaded. Remove the final number and you
> get the proper disk on which to install grub. For example
> here is mine:
>
> $ df -h
> Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on
> /dev/sda3 39G 5.8G 31G 16% /
> udev 3.9G 4.0K 3.9G 1% /dev
> tmpfs 1.6G 1.1M 1.6G 1% /run
> none 5.0M 0 5.0M 0% /run/lock
> none 3.9G 1.1M 3.9G 1% /run/shm
> none 100M 12K 100M 1% /run/user
> /dev/sda4 39G 7.9G 29G 22% /alt_boot
> /dev/sda5 834G 517G 275G 66% /data
> //10.100.1.202/OracleRetail$ 40G 16G 24G 40% /data/alsshare
> *
> Thank You.
>
> Notice that / is /dev/sda3. Removing the number, the proper disk
> on which to install grub is /dev/sda.
> *
> I did not understand this.

I take the line where "Mounted on" is /. That partition or
"Filesystem" as in the listing above is /dev/sda3. In your
case, it is /dev/sda6. Removing the trailing number that
means the disk where you want to install grub is /dev/sda.
*

Sorry
I cannot understand.
So I did not deleted the lines above.

Here is what all this means. All "devices" on a Linux or
Unix system are always listed under the /dev folder.
*
OK

For
example a floppy device would be listed as /dev/fd0 or
/dev/fd1 etc.
*
OK

fd0 would be the first floppy drive and fd1
would be the second.
*
OK

/dev/hd* is for IDE or ATA devices.*
This I dont understand.

The first would be /dev/hda, etc. The first SCSI device
would be /dev/sda. When SATA devices came along, the
powers that be in Linux decided just to use the SCSI device
designation. The first SATA device would be /dev/sda.
Partitions on a device are listed with a trailing number.
For example, on your system, Xubuntu's / is on partition
6 listed as /dev/sda6.
*
Is that the operatin system?

<snip>
> That means when I install a new OS on the
> system, I just have to add that partition to the new OS as
> /data WITHOUT FORMATTING and all of my data files are there
> without having to restore from backup to see my documents.
>
> *
> So You could change vom
> Debian to Fedora
> and keep You partition with data files unchanged?

Yes, so long as we are talking about the latest version
of each. In fact I do exactly this.
*
I understand.

<snip>
> Can I do this later?

Absolutely you can do this later.*
OK
But thank You for Your long explanation.
Because I want to learn Linux.

I understand running
before you walk.
*
YES

I started out keeping everything Linux
under a single partition. When I found out from suggestions
on this list that keeping a separate data partition would
be a good idea, I incorporated that in my next install.
My suggestion would be that you might want to do this
the next time there is a Xubuntu upgrade.
*
What is the relationship between update and and change the partition?

Regards
Sophie

__._,_.___
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (20)
Recent Activity:
To unsubscribe from this list, please email LINUX_Newbies-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com & you will be removed.
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment