Saturday, March 16, 2013

Re: [LINUX_Newbies] Re: grub and how to delete "Ubuntu";two Linuxdistribution,I want to delete one distribution;gparted?

 


So Mär 17 07:24:40 2013
Good morning
Thank You for email and help.

> 4. Apply changes
> *
> What does this mean?

Gparted has a nice feature where when you do something like
delete a partition, it does not do this immediately. Instead
it waits until you apply your changes. Now on Mint, the
apply occurs as a button on the button bar at the top. In
Mint that is a check mark.
*
OK

>
> 5. Using gparted, resize the Xubuntu partition. If it won't let you
> do this, come back and let me know. We can still get there from
> here.
> *
> OK
>
> 6. Apply changes
> *
> How can I do this?

See above.
*
Thank You.

>
> 7. From the command line type:
>
> sudo update-grub
> *
> I understand.
>
> This will update the grub menu so only Xubuntu exists
> 8. From the command line type:
>
> sudo grub-install
> *
> This I dont understand.

update-grub just gathers the current information.
*
OK

Since
Ubuntu will be gone, it will build a grub menu with only
Xubuntu on it.
*
OK

However, it does not install it on the
disk until you tell it to.
*
OK

This is done through grub-install.

*
OK

I missed one thing. It should be:

sudo grub-install /dev/sda
*
OK

This is assuming your boot drive is a SATA drive and it
is the first drive in the system. If your boot drive is
PATA (IDE) then it would be

sudo grub-install /dev/hda
*
How can I check this?
Can I find in www
the difference between SATA abd PATA?

You can figure this out using the following method when
in Xubuntu. From the command line type:

df -h
*
OK

7p:~$ df -h
Dateisystem Größe Benutzt Verf. Verw% Eingehängt auf
/dev/sda6 30G 14G 14G 50% /
udev 1,9G 4,0K 1,9G 1% /dev
tmpfs 748M 780K 748M 1% /run
none 5,0M 0 5,0M 0% /run/lock
none 1,9G 19M 1,9G 1% /run/shm
none 100M 24K 100M 1% /run/user
7p:~$

Did I do it right?

This will give you a list of all partitions currently mounted.
*
A litte bit I can understand the result of df -h

Now I am using
Xubuntu
maybe it is important to know.

There should be one mounted to /. This is the partition on
which Xubuntu is loaded. Remove the final number and you
get the proper disk on which to install grub. For example
here is mine:

$ df -h
Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on
/dev/sda3 39G 5.8G 31G 16% /
udev 3.9G 4.0K 3.9G 1% /dev
tmpfs 1.6G 1.1M 1.6G 1% /run
none 5.0M 0 5.0M 0% /run/lock
none 3.9G 1.1M 3.9G 1% /run/shm
none 100M 12K 100M 1% /run/user
/dev/sda4 39G 7.9G 29G 22% /alt_boot
/dev/sda5 834G 517G 275G 66% /data
//10.100.1.202/OracleRetail$ 40G 16G 24G 40% /data/alsshare
*
Thank You.

Notice that / is /dev/sda3. Removing the number, the proper disk
on which to install grub is /dev/sda.
*
I did not understand this.

>
> This will make the change in grub permanent.
> *
>
> Why there is:
> sudo update-grub
> AND
> sudo grub-install
>

Explained above
*
Thank You.

>
>> You should at this point have the entire 80 GB available to Xubuntu.
> *
> Thank You.
>
>> One more note. I always keep all of my data on a separate partition.
> *
> On my Linux Systems
> I have a Desktop.
> In this Desktop there is a directory
> userfiles.
> This directory contains:
> dailyfiles (new created or downloaded)
> usefiles (files from other computers)
> backupothers (backup files from other computers and the backup from this
> computer is on another computer)
> downloads (programs like Opera I did download from internet)
> So every evening I am copying the directory dailyfiles on USB Stick
> and once a week I burn it on CD.
>
> Is this a good way to save files?
>

It will work, however, the way I have it set up is that data is
a separte partition.
*
I understand.
This is the same like
C: windows and programmes
d: all data files

I did this this way on windows.

That means when I install a new OS on the
system, I just have to add that partition to the new OS as
/data WITHOUT FORMATTING and all of my data files are there
without having to restore from backup to see my documents.

*
So You could change vom
Debian to Fedora
and keep You partition with data files unchanged?

>
>
>> I always mount it as /data when I install a new or updated Linux OS.
> *
> I copy all files from directory dailyfiles to usb-stick and another
> computer.
> Only problem are the directories from mail-programmes.
> Claws is very easy to save files there is a subdirectory in the
> directory dailyfiles.
>

That is certainly commendable and you should do that.
*
Thank You for reading it.
But Your idea with the partition
is a little bit more easy.

>
>> I don't use /home because some settings for one distro will not work
>> with another distro. In this way, I keep my home partition just for
>> settings then save all of my information on my /data partition.
*
OK
Good idea.

I
>> would suggest this to you while you are doing this. If you want me
>> to modify this to make a scheme such as this work for you, just let
>> me know.

*
Can I do this later?

>
> Thank You.
> If I really would destroy my os
> before I do dangerous things
> I am copying dailyfiles
> and so I loose only program-files and these files I can download again
> from www.

Regards
Thank You
Sophie
+

__._,_.___
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (11)
Recent Activity:
To unsubscribe from this list, please email LINUX_Newbies-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com & you will be removed.
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment