Friday, April 25, 2014

Re: [LINUX_Newbies] Mint with Mate Up and Running

 

Hi All,

I wrote:

> I am finding out more about WiFi connections
> as I go along--LOL.

Well, in the short term, I'm "looking forward"
to wading through the download games all
over again for the next version of Mint. I've
alternately been carrying my netbook with
Mint some days and my MacBook Pro other
days WiFi is certainly strange at times; my
frequent spot in front of the Apple store is
a case in point. Out in front is, of course, a
fringe area and, while my Apple seems a bit
better at holding onto a signal at the "two-
bar level" and doesn't announce it if the
signal drops out (for a short time), with
Mint, the netbook posts a "you are offline"
popup and the icon at the bottom changes
to show the reconnecting effort. (Often it
fails for a few tries.) So, what with the poor
and "fluttering" connection, no wonder my
efforts at downloading the 1.2 GB .iso was
such a circus. I also had trouble getting
good results at this with my Verizon MiFi
which doesn't seem to have the "flutter"
problem, though, so it still seems likely to
be a crap shoot.

I have a lot of other WiFi possibilities to look
at to find a free WiFi that will do the trick in
a better manner.

I do have a question for experienced Linux
users, though, at this early stage:

Is it likely the problem is one of a WiFi being
set up with some settings to prevent hard to
trace music piracy (or any other substantial
copyrighted material) and stop RIAA threats
by just simply disconnecting **any and all**
long downloads of single files?

--

Regards,

Gene Falck
gfalck@merr.com

__._,_.___
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (6)
To unsubscribe from this list, please email LINUX_Newbies-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com & you will be removed.
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment