Thursday, April 24, 2014

Re: [LINUX_Newbies] Installing Linux Mint on a Toshiba touch-screen laptop (Satellite NB15t)

 

This information is for Ubuntu, but it should work for Linux Mint as well. 

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BootOptions

The first thing that I do when I have problems with loading is to press ESC once it starts to boot to the GUI that will give you text mode and that will list the processes as they start. You can then see where it is stalling. 

Then I reboot and try to address it through the boot parameters. You press F6 at the initial boot menu. Then I try to see if any of those will allow it to boot. With graphics problems I go right to the part where you add them manually. I append the vga=791 to the boot options line as shown in the graphic. Then I choose to boot by pressing Enter. 

This will not be pretty, but it will allow you to boot into vga mode. Then I install and add the additional drivers. This usually restores the graphics to a more pleasing output. You likely have to re-boot before you see anything because the graphics is tied to the kernel module.

Roy
On Wednesday, April 23, 2014 6:22:11 PM, Ray Drouillard <ray.drouillard.lists@gmail.com> wrote:
 
I had to go through a few gyrations just to get it to boot from a USB
drive. That's done.

I used unetbootin to make a bootable USB drive. I am using Linux Mint
v. 16 mate 64 bit.

Generally, when I select the first menu option, it just sits there with
a blank screen.

Using the second option, I see the standard booting text rolling quickly.

The best I have done is gotten to the command prompt. The error message
seems to indicate that the gui doesn't like the laptop's graphics
hardware or settings. (I can't remember the exact message.)

Any ideas?

(My wife is getting REALLY tired of having to deal with Win 8.)

Ray Drouillard



__._,_.___
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (2)
To unsubscribe from this list, please email LINUX_Newbies-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com & you will be removed.
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment