Monday, April 21, 2014

Re: [LINUX_Newbies] Re: Mint 16 Cinnamon woes!

 

> Hi Loyal,
> Thanks for your response.
>
> I don't give a flip about whether the driver is proprietary or not,
so long as it works! I think this is a fairly common issue so I'm sure
the gurus have a fix for it and it's simply my challenge is to find it.
Just had Easter and I'm too old for Easter egg hunts, anyhow!

> I would prefer to find a driver to restore proper function to the
video card in the computer now but I may need to know how to make the
changes I made permanent.

That is why we are here at Linux Newbies. We were all Newbies at one
time except Linux Torvalds

> I'm assuming GRUB is roughly equal to config.sys in Windows but I did
not have an option to "save" it.

No. GRUB is used by Linux but really is not a part of Linux. I could
for example have two different windows versions like 7 or 8.1 and use
GRUB to display a menu of my choices and access those awful operating
systems that way. GRUB is, simply put, a menu to allow starting
operating systems. Most Linux distros use GRUB to start them.

> If the referenced driver will restore the function, and release
system resources, then that's what I'm after! There are two drivers at
the link. The AMD Catalyst one and a beta version. Which would be the
best to use, or is there any difference?

The beta one which you downloaded has not completed testing so could
have more bugs. When a company thinks they have the vast majority of
the bugs out of a Beta, they will do an official release. When that
happens, the Beta will become the AMD Catalyst one.

<snip>

I also forgot one thing in my earlier email regarding how to install
that beta driver:

The command should be:
sudo ./amd-driver-installer-14.10-x86.x86_64.run

Loyal

__._,_.___
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (7)
To unsubscribe from this list, please email LINUX_Newbies-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com & you will be removed.
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment