Monday, April 21, 2014

Re: [LINUX_Newbies] Mint 16 Cinnamon woes!

 


> Hi Joan,
>
> Thanks for your reply. So Ubuntu 14 has better driver support than
> Mint 16 for the new (garbage) BIOS?

That is true. The Mint version of Ubuntu 14.04 will be out next month.
I am a big fan
of Mint but installed Lubuntu 14.04 to see if the driver for my netbook
was fixed. It
wasn't in Lubuntu 13.10 but was in Lubuntu 14.04. Now I can't wait to
get the
new version of Mint. I will continue testing Lubuntu in the mean-time.

> Interesting. I found a beta
> driver file (proprietary) on the AMD site but can't figure out how
> to load it. One of the forums suggests that it will work but not
> unless I can get it installed. Link is
> http://support.amd.com/en-us/download/desktop?os=Linux%20x86 .
> I have the file on the desktop of the computer but don't have
> the commands to let terminal install it!

Now you will:
1. Open the Mint menu.
2. Select Accessories->Terminal. This will give you a Linux terminal.
When someone tells you to
"open a terminal" or "run from the command line" this is what they
mean. Run the terminal.
3. Unzip the beta package. If you downloaded it to the desktop, the
command would be

unzip ~/Desktop/linux-amd-catalyst-14.4-rc-v1.0-apr17.zip

4. This will create a directory "fglrx-14.10"
5. Go into this directory by typing the following command

cd fglrx-14.10

6. Now run the installer:

./amd-driver-installer-14.10-x86.x86_64.run

I don't know for sure what it does from here as I don't have an AMD
graphics card on any Linux
machine I have at my house.

> Converting a 60 year
> old mind into a new OS is a problem!

I am 54 and started learning Linux about a dozen years ago. Yet I learn
something new in
Linux almost every day.

>
> I have another laptop that I dropped it onto "slick as a whistle"
> but the newest one is giving me the problems.
>

Isn't that the way it works? The old stuff works but not the new. You
should try that in
Windoze. In that case the old stuff won't run Windoze and the new stuff
comes with
a buggy driver for Windoze.

> Thanks for your suggestion and help!
>
> Mark

Loyal

__._,_.___
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (6)
To unsubscribe from this list, please email LINUX_Newbies-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com & you will be removed.
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment