Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Re: [LINUX_Newbies] The Debian Choice...

 


On 4/22/2014 5:13 PM, Linux Canuck wrote:
 
<snip>
Simple answer. No.

Answer to number two is simpler: yes it is a rolling release.

Roy

I removed what Roy said not because I disagree but because I could not agree more.   I did want to add a bit to what he said.

On Tuesday, April 22, 2014 9:01:08 AM, "highskywhy@yahoo.de" <highskywhy@yahoo.de> wrote:
 
Is Debian good for beginners?


It depends on what the beginner's goal is.  If it is to learn like a non-swimmer being thrown in water over his head as a way to learn swimming, then yes, it is great (sarcasm chip engaged).  For most Newbies almost anything else would be better.  See all of Roy's reasons.

Is Debian a rolling distro?

Yes.

An aside.  I have experimented with Debian over the years.  Just in 2013 did I use Debian for a production server.  Before, I had used CentOS.  I liked some things about Debian better than CentOS and therefore went that way.  However, I have been working with Linux for quite a while and never before last year did I feel confident enough to put a Debian system into a production environment.  That was Debian 6.  Right now I have two servers with Debian 7.4 running as well as the Debian 6 server.  My reason is simply that Debian for me has been bulletproof.  I would not suggest getting into Debian until you are VERY comfortable with working from the command line and hand editing configuration files.  Until then, I would stay away.  I just set one of my servers GUI up to automatically log in.  In Debian 7.4, one has to edit an XML type file to do that.  On distros like *buntu, Linux Mint, or Zorin this process is easy.  It can be done from the GUI.  On Debian, no.

Loyal

__._,_.___
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (7)
To unsubscribe from this list, please email LINUX_Newbies-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com & you will be removed.
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment