Monday, April 21, 2014

[LINUX_Newbies] Re: Mint 16 Cinnamon woes!

 

> Hi, I just joined this group as I have a laptop that I was attempting to  > install Linux Mint 16 Petra Cinnamon on but have run into difficulties  > getting it to boot. I loaded it from a DVD and selected the option to  > install from that desktop. I deleted Windows 8 (thank God!) but need a  > reliable OS for this thing. If I just allow it to boot normally I get a  > blue screen with a message that "X server" could not start. I searched  > the Linux forums and found a link to disable the acceleration of my  > video card (Radeon 8330), which I did, and it has booted into "safe  > mode" (unaccelerated) mode. The changes to the GNU GRUB file does not  > save so must be entered manully each time it is booted. Getting to the  > GRUB menu is a problem most of the time as simply holding down the shift  > button while powering on and booting does not always work. I'm pretty  > frustrated with trying to get this thing to run reliably! It's an ASUS  > laptop with an A4 AMD processor, the Radeon 8330 video and 8 GB RAM.  >   > Does anybody know of a site or method to install a driver that will not  > conflict, or whatever I need to do to get this thing running properly?  >   > Thanks,  >   > Mark    I would try this link: "http://support.amd.com/en-us/download/desktop?os=Linux%20x86_64".  I know it is proprietary AMD but at least you could get a taste of what works.  If you don't want to do that but you are looking for a way to make your  changes permanent in grub, please let us know.    Loyal  

__._,_.___
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (4)
To unsubscribe from this list, please email LINUX_Newbies-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com & you will be removed.
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment