Wednesday, April 23, 2014

Re: [LINUX_Newbies] Re: Mint 16 Cinnamon woes!

 

http://houstonlinux.org/
https://twitter.com/hlug

You might find some help here. Did you check out the Mint User Forum? Or read any of the reviews for tips?

http://distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=mint

Joan in Reno


From: Mark Atkins <mratkins@embarqmail.com>
To: LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Wednesday, April 23, 2014 12:22 PM
Subject: Re: [LINUX_Newbies] Re: Mint 16 Cinnamon woes!

 
Hi All,

It's me again! Still having troubles with this install. This is actually my girlfriend's computer and I have now tried Ubuntu 13.04 on it in an effort to try and get her something to use until Mint 16 Cinnamon is FULLY sorted out or there is a fix that I can do to make it usable. (We bought it brand new, with Windows 8 just to install Mint 16 on in order to get away from Bill Gates b.s.!) The video is working but there is no sound from YouTubes, etc. so rather than fight that I would as soon wipe Ubuntu and get the Mint 16 installed and running properly.

I tried the "dd" command referenced below, prefacing it with "sudo ", and tried to reboot Mint 16 Cinnamon 64 bit but, now, cannot get rid on Ubuntu. I've about pulled all my hair out, at this point, trying to get something that is usable and stable on this dam*ed thing! Surely, there is a workaround or a distro of Mint 16 Cinnamon somewhere that I can use to get this thing operational again! I will GLADLY pay (a reasonable amount) for some help with this mess!

If the solution is to enter ANY commands into a terminal window, please instruct how to get to a terminal window and the exact, complete command to enter. I am NOT a programmer, I have used MS junk for many years but I want to break away for security and "moral" issues. If there are any of you guru's in the Houston, Texas area that would care to take a crack at this I will be GLAD to meet with you for some help. It's the video driver in hers but why did it run in the demo mode but crap out when I did the install and simply tried to reboot it afterwards? Why, now, will it not even start Mint under ANY circumstances? Aaaarrrggghhhhh!!!!!

Also, Mint "Cinnamon" was recommended to replace with since it is similar to XP but are there other versions which work and are not such a PIA (pardon my French)! I'm ready for anything at this point! Please not some cryptic or difficult interface to learn.

Thanks to all that have responded but i literally dropped this same version on my CHEAP laptop and it works flawlessly! Very frustrating!

I appreciate the help!

Thanks,

Mark


On 04/22/2014 02:25 PM, Gene C. Falck wrote:
 
Hi Hal,

You wrote:

> You can fetch dBan; burn a CD; boot and run it to completely wipe the
> HD..
> /or/ You can boot a Linux live CD/DVD and use the 'dd' command to
> completely fill the HD with zero's:
>
> dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sd_ bs=1M
>
> I've read that a complete wipe from M$ to Linux is needed because of
> hidden files a normal delete or re-partition wont touch.. ?? ..

Hmm. I have recently done what appears to be a
normal installation of Mint (with Mate) to replace
Windows XP so this matter may not apply to my
situation.

So far, I have no known problems.

My usage is on the simple side, but what should
I be looking for? Any ideas what the hidden files
would be?

--

Regards,

Gene Falck
gfalck@merr.com


--
"A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself. For the traitor appears not a traitor; he speaks in accents familiar to his victims, and he wears their face and their arguments, he appeals to the baseness that lies deep in the hearts of all men. He rots the soul of a nation, he works secretly and unknown in the night to undermine the pillars of the city, he infects the body politic so that it can no longer resist. A murderer is less to fear." ― Cicero


__._,_.___
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (20)
To unsubscribe from this list, please email LINUX_Newbies-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com & you will be removed.
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment