Thursday, April 24, 2014

Re: [LINUX_Newbies] The Debian Choice...

 



good morning

thank You for help
Am 23.04.2014 02:57, schrieb Loyal Barber:
>

> I removed what Roy said not because I disagree but because I could not
> agree more. I did want to add a bit to what he said.

>>
>
> It depends on what the beginner's goal is.
*
I open in the morning

5 terminals and start tools

gedit
gimp
firefox
blender
and so on

For file operations I am using mc.

If it is to learn like a
> non-swimmer being thrown in water over his head as a way to learn
> swimming, then yes, it is great (sarcasm chip engaged). For most
> Newbies almost anything else would be better. See all of Roy's reasons.
>
>> Is Debian a rolling distro?
>
> Yes.
>
> An aside. I have experimented with Debian over the years.
*
OK

Just in 2013
> did I use Debian for a production server. Before, I had used CentOS. I
> liked some things about Debian better than CentOS and therefore went
> that way. However, I have been working with Linux for quite a while and
> never before last year did I feel confident enough to put a Debian
> system into a production environment. That was Debian 6. Right now I
> have two servers with Debian 7.4 running as well as the Debian 6
> server. My reason is simply that Debian for me has been bulletproof.
*
OK

I
> would not suggest getting into Debian until you are VERY comfortable
> with working from the command line and hand editing configuration
> files.
*
OK

Until then, I would stay away. I just set one of my servers GUI
> up to automatically log in. In Debian 7.4, one has to edit an XML type
> file to do that. On distros like *buntu, Linux Mint, or Zorin this
> process is easy. It can be done from the GUI. On Debian, no.
>
I used siduction
rolling also.

But 3 times the update
destroyed gui or other things.

So I installed 2 weeks ago
xubuntu.

Regards

Sophie

__._,_.___
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (11)
To unsubscribe from this list, please email LINUX_Newbies-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com & you will be removed.
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment