Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Re: [LINUX_Newbies] Re: Mint 16 Cinnamon woes!

 

Hi Loyal,

I'm going to be out this evening and the computer is "resting" for it's next fight! :) Thanks, again, for your help. I'll be at it again tomorrow morning.

Working?? What's that? I stopped going that three years ago! LOL! Just sayin......

Take care,

Mark


On 4/22/2014 3:28 PM, Loyal Barber wrote:
 

Yeah Mark,
I am working right now but should be available in 2.5 hours.  If you can't wait that long, let me know.

Loyal

On 4/22/2014 7:45 AM, Mark Atkins wrote:
 

Hi Loyal,

Again thanks for your reply.

At this point I am very frustrated with trying to install Linux on this computer that I have. I've been on it for several (~5) days, "started" it from the CD numerous times, and now have a 64 bit version that I would like to try to see if I have better luck. I tried the command you enclosed below but it did not work so I went to the driver manager and, lo, it had another option for a driver. I did the install there and rebooted to a black screen without a cursor. I have nothing, now.

The shift key at bootup does NOT reliably get me to the GRUB menu so that I can edit the file to start the machine so I'm at my wits end. Do you have any tricks to wipe the disk and start all over on a "clean" install? This is absolutely ridiculous and, frankly, I'm about ready to go get a copy of Windows XP to drop on this thing and let the NSA look all they want! The laptop I am using had NO problem, whatsoever, installing and configuring the same version that I am using for the other. It's, apparently, AMD/Radeon's problem but the new driver will not install even if I get lucky enough to get it started and can edit the file!

I hate to keep bothering you but I'm really wanting to get a good install on the other machine rather than going to XP!


As I said before, that is why we are here at Linux Newbies.  I *want* to help.


Thanks, again.

Mark

<snip>

No virus found in this message.
Checked by AVG - www.avg.com
Version: 2014.0.4569 / Virus Database: 3882/7376 - Release Date: 04/22/14


--
"People will generally accept facts as truth, only if the facts agree with what they already believe." -- Andy Rooney

__._,_.___
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (16)
To unsubscribe from this list, please email LINUX_Newbies-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com & you will be removed.
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment