Monday, April 21, 2014

Re: [LINUX_Newbies] Re: Mint 16 Cinnamon woes!

 

Hi Loyal,

Thanks for your response.

I don't give a flip about whether the driver is proprietary or not, so long as it works! I think this is a fairly common issue so I'm sure the gurus have a fix for it and it's simply my challenge is to find it. Just had Easter and I'm too old for Easter egg hunts, anyhow!

I would prefer to find a driver to restore proper function to the video card in the computer now but I may need to know how to make the changes I made permanent. I'm assuming GRUB is roughly equal to config.sys in Windows but I did not have an option to "save" it. If the referenced driver will restore the function, and release system resources, then that's what I'm after! There are two drivers at the link. The AMD Catalyst one and a beta version. Which would be the best to use, or is there any difference? I would assume the beta one is the newest and has the most "fixes" but you guys would know better than I.

Thanks for your help!

Mark



On 4/21/2014 9:21 PM, Loyal Barber wrote:
 

> Hi, I just joined this group as I have a laptop that I was attempting to  > install Linux Mint 16 Petra Cinnamon on but have run into difficulties  > getting it to boot. I loaded it from a DVD and selected the option to  > install from that desktop. I deleted Windows 8 (thank God!) but need a  > reliable OS for this thing. If I just allow it to boot normally I get a  > blue screen with a message that "X server" could not start. I searched  > the Linux forums and found a link to disable the acceleration of my  > video card (Radeon 8330), which I did, and it has booted into "safe  > mode" (unaccelerated) mode. The changes to the GNU GRUB file does not  > save so must be entered manully each time it is booted. Getting to the  > GRUB menu is a problem most of the time as simply holding down the shift  > button while powering on and booting does not always work. I'm pretty  > frustrated with trying to get this thing to run reliably! It's an ASUS  > laptop with an A4 AMD processor, the Radeon 8330 video and 8 GB RAM.  >   > Does anybody know of a site or method to install a driver that will not  > conflict, or whatever I need to do to get this thing running properly?  >   > Thanks,  >   > Mark    I would try this link: "http://support.amd.com/en-us/download/desktop?os=Linux%20x86_64".  I know it is proprietary AMD but at least you could get a taste of what works.  If you don't want to do that but you are looking for a way to make your  changes permanent in grub, please let us know.    Loyal  

No virus found in this message.
Checked by AVG - www.avg.com
Version: 2014.0.4569 / Virus Database: 3882/7375 - Release Date: 04/21/14


--
"People will generally accept facts as truth, only if the facts agree with what they already believe." -- Andy Rooney

__._,_.___
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (5)
To unsubscribe from this list, please email LINUX_Newbies-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com & you will be removed.
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment