Thursday, April 24, 2014

Re: [LINUX_Newbies] Installing Linux Mint on a Toshiba touch-screen laptop (Satellite NB15t)

 


On 4/24/2014 7:05 AM, Linux Canuck wrote:
 
This information is for Ubuntu, but it should work for Linux Mint as well. 

<snip>

Roy
On Wednesday, April 23, 2014 6:22:11 PM, Ray Drouillard <ray.drouillard.lists@gmail.com> wrote:
 
I had to go through a few gyrations just to get it to boot from a USB
drive. That's done.

I used unetbootin to make a bootable USB drive. I am using Linux Mint
v. 16 mate 64 bit.

Generally, when I select the first menu option, it just sits there with
a blank screen.


I have had this issue in the past using a new laptop.  Try connecting an external monitor.  Back then, using the external monitor, it would show up there and I could get in and fix things.  Roy or Scott or others: Can you help explain why this would work?  Here is my guess:  Before Linux Mint gets to either Mate or Cinnamon or XFCE, it boots to an HTML login screen.  The HTML login screen is just not ready for prime time.  Sometimes it fails to display the login prompt at all.  I always change it by going to preferences->Login and change from the HTML login window to one of the other ones like Gnome (I think).  Once past that, I have no additional issues getting into Mint with or without an external monitor.
FWIW I run Linux Mint 16 Cinnamon and Linux Mint Cinnamon 13 LTS. 

<snip>

(My wife is getting REALLY tired of having to deal with Win 8.)


And apparently she is NOT alone!
Loyal

__._,_.___
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (3)
To unsubscribe from this list, please email LINUX_Newbies-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com & you will be removed.
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment