Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Re: [LINUX_Newbies] Re: Mint 16 Cinnamon woes!

 

Hi Loyal,

Again thanks for your reply.

At this point I am very frustrated with trying to install Linux on this computer that I have. I've been on it for several (~5) days, "started" it from the CD numerous times, and now have a 64 bit version that I would like to try to see if I have better luck. I tried the command you enclosed below but it did not work so I went to the driver manager and, lo, it had another option for a driver. I did the install there and rebooted to a black screen without a cursor. I have nothing, now.

The shift key at bootup does NOT reliably get me to the GRUB menu so that I can edit the file to start the machine so I'm at my wits end. Do you have any tricks to wipe the disk and start all over on a "clean" install? This is absolutely ridiculous and, frankly, I'm about ready to go get a copy of Windows XP to drop on this thing and let the NSA look all they want! The laptop I am using had NO problem, whatsoever, installing and configuring the same version that I am using for the other. It's, apparently, AMD/Radeon's problem but the new driver will not install even if I get lucky enough to get it started and can edit the file!

I hate to keep bothering you but I'm really wanting to get a good install on the other machine rather than going to XP!

Thanks, again.

Mark


On 04/21/2014 10:30 PM, Loyal Barber wrote:
 

> Hi Loyal,
> Thanks for your response.
>
> I don't give a flip about whether the driver is proprietary or not,
so long as it works! I think this is a fairly common issue so I'm sure
the gurus have a fix for it and it's simply my challenge is to find it.
Just had Easter and I'm too old for Easter egg hunts, anyhow!

> I would prefer to find a driver to restore proper function to the
video card in the computer now but I may need to know how to make the
changes I made permanent.

That is why we are here at Linux Newbies. We were all Newbies at one
time except Linux Torvalds

> I'm assuming GRUB is roughly equal to config.sys in Windows but I did
not have an option to "save" it.

No. GRUB is used by Linux but really is not a part of Linux. I could
for example have two different windows versions like 7 or 8.1 and use
GRUB to display a menu of my choices and access those awful operating
systems that way. GRUB is, simply put, a menu to allow starting
operating systems. Most Linux distros use GRUB to start them.

> If the referenced driver will restore the function, and release
system resources, then that's what I'm after! There are two drivers at
the link. The AMD Catalyst one and a beta version. Which would be the
best to use, or is there any difference?

The beta one which you downloaded has not completed testing so could
have more bugs. When a company thinks they have the vast majority of
the bugs out of a Beta, they will do an official release. When that
happens, the Beta will become the AMD Catalyst one.

<snip>

I also forgot one thing in my earlier email regarding how to install
that beta driver:

The command should be:
sudo ./amd-driver-installer-14.10-x86.x86_64.run

Loyal


--
“A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself. For the traitor appears not a traitor; he speaks in accents familiar to his victims, and he wears their face and their arguments, he appeals to the baseness that lies deep in the hearts of all men. He rots the soul of a nation, he works secretly and unknown in the night to undermine the pillars of the city, he infects the body politic so that it can no longer resist. A murderer is less to fear.” ― Cicero

__._,_.___
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (8)
To unsubscribe from this list, please email LINUX_Newbies-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com & you will be removed.
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment