Monday, January 19, 2015

Re: [LINUX_Newbies] Linux Mint 17.1

 

Keep in mind that Ubuntu 14.04 has 5 years of support being LTS, long-term support, but 14.10, 15.04, 15.10 will have just 6 months support, if I remember rightly. Mint 17.1 is built as a LTS upon Ubuntu 14.04. I'll let others using Linux in business help you to decide...Since I'm testing on Distros using LXDE (Zorin, LXLE), XFCE (Makulu, etc.) and Mate (PcLinuxOS).
Joan in Reno


From: "Gene Henley mhenley2@verizon.net [LINUX_Newbies]" <LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com>
To: LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Monday, January 19, 2015 6:14 AM
Subject: [LINUX_Newbies] Linux Mint 17.1

 
My Ubuntu 14.10 was upgraded from 14.04. VLC always functioned in either one,maybe because I had upgraded without realizing it.
 I don`t remember. I researched with Google and found some opinions that upgrading to 14.10 was not a good idea. I`ll address that
later. I did not have any serious issues with either Ubuntu distro,but will listen to opinions.
  I have a home office which I use with associates. I lend my computers to them to use here. My Linux computers are four AsRock
775i65G models. These are 3.0 gig duo 64 bit  with i gig ram. I intend to use them with Linux OS only in each. I`m intrigued about the 
 opinions of some that Mint 17.1 is better. My point is simple. This is primarily for a networking business,not pleasure. I defer to those
that know. When I call myself"Newbie",it is while admitting that I have other computers which are XP( I am not in love with this OS),and
Macs which I am using right now. I see Linux as a way to hold down the CODB.(Cost Of Doing Business). My Macs are very reliable and
up to date,but expansion of this business will require more stations. I use my Ubuntu 14.10 very much. It has it`s few minor flaws,but 
the price is right. I`m contemplating putting my three other AsRocks on line,but with same distros. As for the several older Dells, I will
give them away. They have XP. I do not intend to upgrade in Microsoft OS. Not when I can use Apple OS and Linux. 
     Thanks. I will read attentively any suggestions. I can use my Macs while deciding what distros go into my ASRocks.
                           Cheers
                                  Gene Henley
                                    Southern transplant to Long Island

   
 
 


On Jan 19, 2015, at 8:29 AM, Loyal Barber loyal_barber@yahoo.com [LINUX_Newbies] wrote:

 

> On Sun, Jan 18, 2015 at 10:37:22PM -0500, Gene Henley mhenley2@verizon.net [LINUX_Newbies] wrote:  > >  > >  > > On 01/18/2015 09:20 PM, Scott scottro@nyc.rr.com [LINUX_Newbies] wrote:  > > >  > > > Sorry, I do not know.  > > >  > > Whatever came with them is what I have.  >   > Ok, on the Mint one that isn't working, it might be worthwhile seeing what  > updates are available. You can use their software application (I'm not  > familiar with it) or use the command line.  >   > apt-get update  > apt-get upgrade  >   > This will upgrade all packages on your system.  >   > --   > Scott Robbins  > <snip>      For the GUI version in Mint 17.1 there are two options:   1. In the "system tray" to the lower right of the screen there should be   a "shield" looking icon.  It will contain either an exclamation point   meaning updates need to be done or a green check mark indicating no  updates need to be done.  2. From the menu select "Administration" then "Update Manager."      I will try and get caught up on the issue later today.  I have been out  of pocket and I know I am one of the few who runs Linux Mint especially  on multiple machines.      Loyal  




__._,_.___

Posted by: Joan Leach <jleach728@sbcglobal.net>
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (21)
To unsubscribe from this list, please email LINUX_Newbies-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com & you will be removed.

.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment