Saturday, January 30, 2010

[LINUX_Newbies] Re: New to Group & Linux

 



--- In LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com, "Darksyde" <m_alexander61@...> wrote:
>
>
>
> --- In LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com, "sue_in_al" <sdp30564@> wrote:
> >
> > I recently installed Kubuntu 9.04 on a Acer laptop that was locked up by a virus. Then upgraded it to the latest version. Since then I have heard that Mint is better than Kubuntu. What is the consensus here.
> >
> > I would like to give it a try, but as of yet I have not been able to create a bootable cd. Kubuntu was on a free cd. Is Mint available on a free cd too?
> >
> > Thanks, Sue
> >
> Mint is a *wonderful* distro, esp. for newbs (IMHO)! Very user-friendly, very good drivers (at least I've had no issues using it on two different laptops), and it has a nice desktop. I am still using Mint 6 (Felicia), not because the newer versions aren't great but I've reached a comfort zone. I'm sure everyone else has mentioned this by now but it's terribly easy to download a distro and burn to disk, even if it makes you uncomfortable at first...don't be, just dive right in.
> Good luck,
> Mark
>

Had to jump in because Mark and I both went to Mint about the same
time. If you need help and suggestions how to download and and
burn your own free copy of Mint, let us know. This group can be
very helpful. I assume you are coming from Windows so I feel
Mint is an excellent choice. I am a heavy-duty technical guy so
even though you might find those that say that Mint is too much a
newbie distro, I am here to tell you that Mint is for those who
just want the distro to be easy and to work.

Loyal

__._,_.___
To unsubscribe from this list, please email LINUX_Newbies-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com & you will be removed.
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment