Sunday, January 31, 2010

Re: [LINUX_Newbies] Re: Thanks for all the feedback about Mint & new ?

 

On Sun, Jan 31, 2010 at 18:37, Susan Muska <sdp30564@yahoo.com> wrote:
>>From: loyal_barber <loyal_barber@yahoo.com>

>>>There are a couple of things you can do to improve your burn:
>>>1. Check the MD5 check sum on your download.  If you don't know how
>>>to do that, just ask
>>>2. Slow the speed way down
>>
>>>Usually works for me.  Most burners always select max speed and I
>>>find that rarely works correctly.
>>
>>>Loyal
>
> Ah, I bet it was the speed cause I just used the default. I did check the MD5 on all my attempts.
> Thanks
>
> Sue in AL

Sue, Loyal,

Another thing to look at and consider as well. The brand of disks you
have. I've found, over the years, that the cheap and off-brand disks
are usually crap. In my own experience, I've seen as much as 40% of a
100 CD spindle be bad. FWIW, I only buy name brand, high-end media
these days (meaning Sony, etc, not the generic stuff that costs far
less) and have had MUCH more success with burning disks.

Add to that Loyal's suggestion of reducing the burn speed and you
should be good. I usually run mine about 1 step below max for the
drive or disk, and using quality media, I've not had a bad burn in a
long time.

Also, one other aspect to consider is the quality of the drive itself.
Cheap drives will be more prone to bad burns and even being unable to
read good burns on cheap disks.

HTH,

Jeff

--

Jonathan Swift - "May you live every day of your life." -
http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/authors/j/jonathan_swift.html

__._,_.___
To unsubscribe from this list, please email LINUX_Newbies-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com & you will be removed.
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment