Friday, January 29, 2010

Re: [LINUX_Newbies] New to Group & Linux

 

Hello Sue,

Well I used to use Ubuntu in both brown and blue (KDE). Now I use Mint in green and blue (KDE).  I thought I had a bad sound card until I switched to Mint.  You can also use KDE programs on Gnome, and vice versa.  But I was surprised when I tried to download their XFCE version for older, low-ram computers I repair for senior citizens, after it downloaded the iso file, when next it booted it was into that desktop.  Luckily, I remembered how to switch it back to one I preferred.

As to burning Linux Live CD images as iso files, I think Brasero or K3B are there for burning CDs.  If you want to read reviews about the different Linux Distros or see screenshots of them, head over to www.distrowatch.com.

Welcome to Linux.
Joan in Reno

--- On Fri, 1/29/10, sue_in_al <sdp30564@yahoo.com> wrote:

 

I recently installed Kubuntu 9.04 on a Acer laptop that was locked up by a virus.  Then upgraded it to the latest version.  Since then I have heard that Mint is better than Kubuntu. What is the consensus here.

I would like to give it a try, but as of yet I have not been able to create a bootable CD.  Kubuntu was on a free CD.  Is Mint available on a free CD, too?

Thanks, Sue

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

__._,_.___
To unsubscribe from this list, please email LINUX_Newbies-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com & you will be removed.
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment