Friday, January 29, 2010

Re: [LINUX_Newbies] New to Group & Linux

 

On Fri, Jan 29, 2010 at 10:26:03PM -0000, sue_in_al wrote:

> I recently installed Kubuntu 9.04 on a Acer laptop that was locked up by a virus. Then upgraded it to the latest version. Since then I have heard that Mint is better than Kubuntu. What is the consensus here.
>
> I would like to give it a try, but as of yet I have not been able to create a bootable cd. Kubuntu was on a free cd. Is Mint available on a free cd too?
>
> Thanks, Sue
>
As far as I know, Mint is available on a free CD. At one point, the
lead developer stated that he would prefer that if you supported Israel,
you don't use Mint. He later retracted the statement, and even removed
his blog post--originally, it was on the Mint site, the other developers
asked him to move it to his personal blog, but it seems to have
disappeared, back in May of last year.

Original post can be seen at
http://www.facebook.com/topic.php?uid=94463421516&topic=8789

and various other places around the web.

Even with that aside, I wouldn't really say it's any better than Ubuntu.
It's quite similar, and like many, many others, based on Ubuntu.

Some folks find it easier to use, others find that they've gotten better
hardware support from Ubuntu.

Mint, like Ubuntu, primarily focuses on Gnome, so it would be a somewhat
different desktop. I believe there's a KDE edition as well, I don't
know if it keeps up with each release of Mint or not. I'm not an expert
on it. It's very green in color by default. :)

It has a few of its own special config programs, and does very nicely
with things like NVidia drivers, but these are things that are also
pretty trivial with Ubuntu.

--
Scott Robbins
PGP keyID EB3467D6
( 1B48 077D 66F6 9DB0 FDC2 A409 FA54 EB34 67D6 )
gpg --keyserver pgp.mit.edu --recv-keys EB3467D6

Buffy: It's weird, though. In this way, I feel like he's still
watching me.
Willow: Well, in a way he sort of is...in the way of that he's right
over there.

__._,_.___
To unsubscribe from this list, please email LINUX_Newbies-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com & you will be removed.
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment