Friday, January 29, 2010

Re: [LINUX_Newbies] New to Group & Linux

 

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: SHA1

Scott wrote:

> As far as I know, Mint is available on a free CD. At one point, the
> lead developer stated that he would prefer that if you supported Israel,
> you don't use Mint. He later retracted the statement, and even removed
> his blog post--originally, it was on the Mint site, the other developers
> asked him to move it to his personal blog, but it seems to have
> disappeared, back in May of last year.
>
> Original post can be seen at
> http://www.facebook.com/topic.php?uid=94463421516&topic=8789
> <http://www.facebook.com/topic.php?uid=94463421516&topic=8789>
>

That was pretty nutty... just goes to show, sometimes really smart
people say things they would have been better off no saying.

> Even with that aside, I wouldn't really say it's any better than Ubuntu.
> It's quite similar, and like many, many others, based on Ubuntu.
>
> Some folks find it easier to use, others find that they've gotten better
> hardware support from Ubuntu.
>
> Mint, like Ubuntu, primarily focuses on Gnome, so it would be a somewhat
> different desktop. I believe there's a KDE edition as well, I don't
> know if it keeps up with each release of Mint or not. I'm not an expert
> on it. It's very green in color by default. :)
>
> It has a few of its own special config programs, and does very nicely
> with things like NVidia drivers, but these are things that are also
> pretty trivial with Ubuntu.
>
> --
> Scott Robbins

I really liked Mint at first, but then in the last two versions, I hit a
wall with hardware incompatibilities... I was trying to install on the
older machine I upgraded, that I mentioned on the 'linux' list, which I
wound up happily installing CentOS 5.4 on, instead (typing this on
CentOS, and happy to be using it... just as stable as RHEL3 was, and a
lot of improvements, as well.

I am guessing that Mint just generally doesn't play well with older
hardwares, like video cards... that seemed to be the big wall, for me.

There were a lot of things I liked about Mint, when I was running it. I
did not particularly like their security implementation, though...
permitting non-password logins, and a 'crippled' root account.

Oh well, maybe I will find a machine with just the right hardware, and
get a chance to mess with Mint later.

In the meantime, CentOS 5.4 is doing great.

- --
- -wittig
http://www.robertwittig.com/
http://robertwittig.net/
http://robertwittig.org/
.
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG v1.4.5 (GNU/Linux)
Comment: Using GnuPG with CentOS - http://enigmail.mozdev.org/

iQEVAwUBS2Ozbf9qkhAVPSgqAQLVKQf+Lo30kc8KY6UpgEtv4YzTsgTlyHg7Jis/
cEE1GhwGCHzDf/9WeSVgK59wgiT2lMOsZk0mFl/wJcUvmEWSClbc2CkzTJYiQa6I
CsdnWNInxBMM9V3XI4+5/+Jnh7QbTXat05pAzf6RgyGKqy0ddJkkGUQ2r8jVhWSL
xqWel12/ShzBGNpa7jueRbiWqpV98NDzkrk3SR5FQrvOYyjQ9yxSF7JgFpBWHcaZ
JhZORi57InHKJgj41YSQ3YU576u84oMm86RBmm0KavEQcMmDMVn/MefEI+tC1rd2
1KzU3NGYDpWkZz80B8x6xh/T28GRdfYKqcRv//UR1Daa5tIqIgnfDw==
=DhSQ
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----

__._,_.___
To unsubscribe from this list, please email LINUX_Newbies-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com & you will be removed.
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment