Sunday, April 6, 2014

[LINUX_Newbies] Re: Bought a computer with Linux 4.10

 

I have no idea what "Linux 4.10" means.  My guess would be it is
Ubuntu 4.10 which means it was released on October of 2004.  I would 
consider replacing that immediately. 

> ---In LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com, <mhenley2@...> wrote :
> Specs:
>   80 gig HD
>   1 gig memory
>    3gig processor
       
> I will familiarize with this distro firstly. I will upgrade
> later,and possible change desktop.First time ever
> turning on a computer with Linux.
>   Wide open for suggestions
>                Gene Henley

This will run decently.  80 GB HD is sufficient for just about any 
Linux Distro.  1 GB RAM is now considered small.  All that means is
you need to run a lightweight desktop environment such as Xfce or LXDE.
I am running the Xfce version of Mint on a 1 GB netbook and it runs fine.
It seems to use about 450MB with no other applications loaded.  I have
tried LXDE and it runs less than 200 MB.  Both of these desktop environments 
sacrifice "cool" in order to be lighter weight.  They run pretty snappy on 
my Intel Atom processor.  Does a machine that old have USB 2?  Also, what
video card does it have (if you know.)

Some Xfce newbie distros: Xubuntu, Linux Mint Xfce
Some LXDE newbie distros: Lubuntu, Zorin LXDE

Loyal

__._,_.___
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (4)
To unsubscribe from this list, please email LINUX_Newbies-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com & you will be removed.
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment