Tuesday, February 22, 2011

[LINUX_Newbies] Laptop graphics driver and more persistence!

 

Hi folks, here I am again with my laptop graphics glitch.

It's been a rainy day and I have returned to my linux glitches.
On my laptop I have tried other distros than Debian. Earlier versions of
Puppy and Macpup, which I really like, recognise the graphics correctly
and display a full screen, 1024*768. But they fail on Grub. After the
full installation process I am told sda1 is mounted as read/write, but
unmountable, or something like that, so I have reverted to Debian, as
that install runs well - other than the fact it gives me a small screen
on a 14" laptop.
Harking to the advice given here, I can't find the driver and do not
know how to install it. Googling gave me the Intel site, which says
'In general, many Linux* distributions already include Intel® graphics
drivers. If you are looking to update your driver, Intel recommends
checking on availability and obtaining precompiled driver packages from
your Linux distribution vendor or computer manufacturer. Support for
these drivers will be through your Linux distribution vendor or computer
manufacturer. '
Not very helpful. Can I extract it from the Puppy (4.2 as the later
version doesn't have it) CD?
The chip is an Intel 815EM, max 11Mb video ram, 3D accelerator.

At the moment I am setting up two machines, also an Acer tower on which
I have Ubuntu. Seems good. I have dealt with Wine, which required a
command line before it would run exe files (?!), and found the 'mute'
button which was ticked by default and meant my sound didn't work.
(seems to me like having a 'don't work' button which you have to find
buried in the tabs, but I'm a newbie).
At the moment I am stymied by tape backup utilities. I was excited to
find these, as I am a photographer, and have a modest but growing 60Gb
of images backed up on external HD. I want to be able to retrieve the
files as they were at a known date, and have an external Lacie tape
drive and a stack of tapes from my ex employers.
Firstly I couldn't find mondorescue or tob, both installed but not shown
in menus.
I retrieved the documentation from Mondo's website - have no idea where
the installed document went. But, sorry, it's written in computer speak
and cannot interpret the instructions.
Eg, it says 'you must specify one of the following' and, '-t Use tape
streamer as back up device' .... It can't mean that to do so you must
type that command in terminal, for if I do so, I am told 'command not
recognised'
'mondoarchive-O', again, not recognised. 'mondoarchive' 'Please run as
root' - I thought I was in root? Typed in my password 'command not found'.
Sanity compromised.

I do emphasise that Ubuntu is described as user friendly. The basic
issue with linux seems to me not so much it's difference, but that
assumptions are made as to what is known. Am I expecting too much or
simply awkward about what I attempt? What do I need to do to be able to
attempt such things, and how do I obtain that information - clearly I
have some way to go? I'm going to do something else this afternoon.
Tony

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
To unsubscribe from this list, please email LINUX_Newbies-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com & you will be removed.
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment