Thursday, February 24, 2011

Re: [LINUX_Newbies] Laptop graphics driver and more persistence!

Are you running Debian 5 or 6? Debian 6 Squeeze just came out. They have
removed the binary blobs from the kernel and put them in a non-free
repository. You can install it post installation. You can upgrade from lenny
to squeeze by just changing a references to lenny to squeeze in your sources
list. Then just do an update and upgrade. Afterwards install the non-free
packages. Squeeze is worth the upgrade because it has a newer kernel and
after the non-free packages are installed then you should be able to install
graphics drivers more easily.

This link may be helpful:
http://kaigaraonline.wordpress.com/2011/02/13/things-to-do-after-installing-debian-6-squeeze/

Let us know how you do.

Roy

Using Kubuntu 10.10, 64-bit
Location: Canada


On 22 February 2011 08:50, Tony Mitchell <greenstar@care4free.net> wrote:

>
>
> Hi folks, here I am again with my laptop graphics glitch.
>
> It's been a rainy day and I have returned to my linux glitches.
> On my laptop I have tried other distros than Debian. Earlier versions of
> Puppy and Macpup, which I really like, recognise the graphics correctly
> and display a full screen, 1024*768. But they fail on Grub. After the
> full installation process I am told sda1 is mounted as read/write, but
> unmountable, or something like that, so I have reverted to Debian, as
> that install runs well - other than the fact it gives me a small screen
> on a 14" laptop.
> Harking to the advice given here, I can't find the driver and do not
> know how to install it. Googling gave me the Intel site, which says
> 'In general, many Linux* distributions already include Intel® graphics
> drivers. If you are looking to update your driver, Intel recommends
> checking on availability and obtaining precompiled driver packages from
> your Linux distribution vendor or computer manufacturer. Support for
> these drivers will be through your Linux distribution vendor or computer
> manufacturer. '
> Not very helpful. Can I extract it from the Puppy (4.2 as the later
> version doesn't have it) CD?
> The chip is an Intel 815EM, max 11Mb video ram, 3D accelerator.
>
> At the moment I am setting up two machines, also an Acer tower on which
> I have Ubuntu. Seems good. I have dealt with Wine, which required a
> command line before it would run exe files (?!), and found the 'mute'
> button which was ticked by default and meant my sound didn't work.
> (seems to me like having a 'don't work' button which you have to find
> buried in the tabs, but I'm a newbie).
> At the moment I am stymied by tape backup utilities. I was excited to
> find these, as I am a photographer, and have a modest but growing 60Gb
> of images backed up on external HD. I want to be able to retrieve the
> files as they were at a known date, and have an external Lacie tape
> drive and a stack of tapes from my ex employers.
> Firstly I couldn't find mondorescue or tob, both installed but not shown
> in menus.
> I retrieved the documentation from Mondo's website - have no idea where
> the installed document went. But, sorry, it's written in computer speak
> and cannot interpret the instructions.
> Eg, it says 'you must specify one of the following' and, '-t Use tape
> streamer as back up device' .... It can't mean that to do so you must
> type that command in terminal, for if I do so, I am told 'command not
> recognised'
> 'mondoarchive-O', again, not recognised. 'mondoarchive' 'Please run as
> root' - I thought I was in root? Typed in my password 'command not found'.
> Sanity compromised.
>
> I do emphasise that Ubuntu is described as user friendly. The basic
> issue with linux seems to me not so much it's difference, but that
> assumptions are made as to what is known. Am I expecting too much or
> simply awkward about what I attempt? What do I need to do to be able to
> attempt such things, and how do I obtain that information - clearly I
> have some way to go? I'm going to do something else this afternoon.
> Tony
>
>


[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

------------------------------------

To unsubscribe from this list, please email LINUX_Newbies-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com & you will be removed.Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LINUX_Newbies/

<*> Your email settings:
Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LINUX_Newbies/join
(Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
LINUX_Newbies-digest@yahoogroups.com
LINUX_Newbies-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
LINUX_Newbies-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

No comments:

Post a Comment