Saturday, February 26, 2011

Re: [LINUX_Newbies] Re: reviving old laptop with Linux

 

On Sat, Feb 26, 2011 at 7:43 AM, dbneeley <dbneeley@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>
>
> Michael,
>
>However, if it has USB 2.0, you might just use one of the USB

I had a similar spec'd Compaq (my very first laptop) that I had robbed
the HD out of years back. There was no level of convincing or fix I
could find on the net that would let it boot from USB or use an
external CD player on one of it's ports a few years back when I first
started playing with Linux. I ultimately found some swappable
hardware from a "parts only" machine I bought online pretty cheap.

> You might take a look at Puppy Linux--a small distribution that should run fine on
> that level of hardware.
>
Just a note, Puppy needs 128 MB ram to boot the live CD, though it can
run from much less if installed to machine frugally. Puppy has
forked, the "Wary" is Barry's ongoing support for legacy hardware,
while lupup, or lucid puppy, is built off of Ubuntu 10.04 and can
install their packages. I don't think there is a chance the later of
those would run on your machine out of the box.

> Either way, good luck--and please let us know what you wind up with.
>
Ditto

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
To unsubscribe from this list, please email LINUX_Newbies-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com & you will be removed.
MARKETPLACE

Stay on top of your group activity without leaving the page you're on - Get the Yahoo! Toolbar now.


Get great advice about dogs and cats. Visit the Dog & Cat Answers Center.

.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment